Mander Organ Builders Forum

Music for Inductions

father-willis

Does anyone know of any other Euphonia?

Yes, but not as a reed stop. Sweetland included one on his organ for

Somerset Bath, Central United Reformed Church, Argyle Street (Corner Grove Street), (Formerly Argyle Chapel) [T00337]

There is a picture of it standing at the top of the organ with 'gold' pipes; a parallel flue pipe with an outward flaring bell on the top. Looking at the previous NPOR record it was on the Great. There may be more about this stop in the Sweetland book by Gordon Curtis but my copy is on loan at the moment!

I have Herbert Byard's article, which is why I knew about the Euphonium. I was one of Byard's last students at Bristol University. He was too ill to lecture most of the time - the Prof, Raymond Warren gave most of the course - and passed away during my first year. I remember him as a nice old fellow with a quiet West Country accent, but he was a link with the past, having been an articled pupil of Sir Herbert Brewer at Gloucester and friends with the likes of Herbert Howells, RVW and Elgar.

There's a Euphonium on the Great organ of Rowde Parish Church in Wiltshire. This organ has a Sweetland connection. It's a good 'fat' reed, but not overpowering. I found the whole organ a delight play, and quite versatile given its modest specification.

Herbert Byard

Now there's a name that brings memories flooding back!

He was one of my tutors for keyboard tests in my first year at Bristol (late 1960s).

One Contrapunctus per week from the Art of Fugue (open score and 3 different C-clefs), orchestral score of "Les Preludes", etc...

[Please forgive off-topic comment.]

One Contrapunctus per week from the Art of Fugue (open score and 3 different C-clefs), orchestral score of "Les Preludes", etc...

Wonderful stuff! - it would seem that they don't ask music undergraduates to do that any more, and it's a great shame in my opinion!

I remember going up to University and finding the joys of 'Keyboard Techniques' on my weekly timetable. We started with Dorothy Pilling 'Harmonisation at the Keyboard' together with open score reading exercises by C.S. Lang (I think!) - and moved on from there! It was pointed out to me, very early on, that Riemenschneider had, coincidently, the same number of chorales as there were days in the year - and transposition of one each morning was a good wake-up call! Those lessons stood me in good stead for years and years!

Some time ago I interviewed for an assistant. We had eighteen, all with Music degrees, apply for the post. Eventually we whittled it down to six. We asked them to play and then to do some keyboard tests - transposition - harmonisation - improvisation and score reading - the kind of thing that every teacher of A level probably does every day! I gave them the first dozen or so bars of Mozart 'Symphony 40', the 2nd movement, to score read - the results were amazing and the music, mostly, completely unrecognisable!

I say - bring back Keyboard Harmony - Score Reading - Transposition - Improvisation to our undergraduate programmes!

And back to topic - I hope that your Induction or, rather, the Induction of your new Priest, goes well tonight!