Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Voluntaries on the theme of “Love”?

innate

Thanks, AJJ. I’m ashamed to say I don’t know any Demessieux. I should have specified that it needs to be suitable for a rather unusual organ in London with 2 manuals and pedal, tubular pneumatic action (I think) and no swell box. Half the instrument was bombed in the war (including the whole of the Swell division) and never replaced.

Thanks, AJJ. Im ashamed to say I dont know any Demessieux...

The Op 8 set are not typical of her work - not difficult and also very effective on different shapes, sizes and types of instrument. They are a good set to have lurking 'just in case' - 12 preludes on Gregorian themes ranging from the quiet and rather lovely Atente Domine and Rorate Caeli to an accessible toccata on Veni Creator and a march on Tu es Petrus.

A

Isn't there a rather nice, kind of quirky prelude on Down Ampney by Richard Popplewell in the Hovingham Sketches, published by Banks?

There is a piece called Puck's Shadow by Richard Popplewell but it isn't in my 1982 Banks edition of the Hovingham Sketches. Don't know why - copyright issues maybe? It formed part of the original collection. Puck's Shadow is published separately by OUP. Two others have also been left out - Trio by Peter Hurford (Cramer) and Scherzetto by Arthur Wills (also Cramer).

The complete book was recorded by Francis Jackson in York Minster on Gamut UT 7504.

This info comes from the contents page of the Banks edition.

CEP