Mander Organ Builders Forum

TS Jones catalogue

Clarabella8

I came across a reference in the NPOR to a catalogue of the organs of TS Jones and was wondering if anyone might know if this has been published in any books or journals in recent times?

I am about to 'inherit' a little TS Jones in the chapel of my new school. It's a St Cecilia model with one manual and F-f3 compass. It's pleasant enough, as far as it goes (which isn't very far). A local builder has recently added a pedalboard, which might have been a good idea had there been sufficient distance between it and the bottom of the keyboard: as it is, I will have to attempt to play with my legs splayed in a most undignified manner...

The aforementioned builder claims it was built by William Hill in 1740 :lol:!! I'm surprised he didn't say Father Smith...

Many thanks for any info you can give.

Clarabella

You might try enquiring through the British Organ Archive in Birmingham. Their 2015 Handlist (online) [don't use the outdated 2011 link on the NPOR] does reference a folder they have on TS Jones but unfortunately does not mention what the contents are.

I thought several years ago I came across a website about TS Jones but I can't seem to find it now!

Many thanks Philip - your mention of the website triggered a memory and I realised I already have a printout of the list in a dusty folder - I must catalogue my stuff! It was compiled by GF Howe in 1994.

No mention of 'my' instrument though, either in its present or previous location.

Clarabella

Hi

There used to be a web site listing T.S. Jones organs - the link I've had is no longer working. Maybe it's been moved - or just taken down (it looks like it was on a free hosting site that's no longer functioning). If you know the previous locations of the organ in question, there may be some info on NPOR.

Every Blessing

Tony