Mander Organ Builders Forum

New organ for new RC cathedral in the USA

AJJ

You are correct David - the Swell section on the old organ at Llandaff was able to be coupled in two halves. The rather dinky Positif in the pulpitum (I seem to remember that the pipes are still there) was of little use in quiet liturgical situations so some stops could be coupled down onto the lowest manual as a sort of borrowed Choir organ.

A

If I recall correctly, the Swell box was very large and split on two levels. I think the secondary ranks were on the lower level. Looking at the NPOR spec, it doesn't make it clear that the 16/8/4 Harmonic Trumpets were enclosed in the Solo box, on 10" wind. The Positive was fairly useless, being too far away from the main organ, usually at a varying pitch, with lively winding and a poor soundboard that had been well overheated. Access, for the brave, was via an extending ladder reaching up to a trap door in the base of (as my colleague referred to it) the 'orbiting dustbin'.

If I recall correctly, the Swell box was very large and split on two levels. I think the secondary ranks were on the lower level. ...

Guy Russell has just confirmed the location of the two expression boxes for the Primary Swell and Secondary Swell organs, which is as you state. However, I forgot to ask which was on top.

Sorry pcnd5584, if you re-read my FB reply to your question about Llandaff Swell you will find that I said both sections were in the same expression box. The Swell had only one pedal to work the shutters. G.

I have now read this, Guy - thank you. I had not realised that they were in the same box from your first post; I had read it as one box on top of another.