Mander Organ Builders Forum

Phelps And Christ Church, Oxford

innate

Does anyone have any idea what sort of organ Phelps was going to build for Christ Church in the 1970s? I should imagine that it would be tracker, werkprinzip, 3/4 manuals and possibly using the Smith/Scott cases; in other words pretty much like the Rieger that they ended up with. But would it have had the French stoplist? Might it have been non-equal temperament? Any Phelps theories about building and voicing for such an acoustic? Just curious.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of organ Phelps was going to build for Christ Church in the 1970s? I should imagine that it would be tracker, werkprinzip, 3/4 manuals and possibly using the Smith/Scott cases; in other words pretty much like the Rieger that they ended up with. But would it have had the French stoplist? Might it have been non-equal temperament? Any Phelps theories about building and voicing for such an acoustic? Just curious.

I don't have an answer for you, but someone who might is Ken List who was, I believe, with Phelps and Associates pretty much right until the end.

Ken can usually be found lurking on the PIPORG-L mailing list.

The archives of PIPORG-L can be found here and you can subscribe to the list itself using the web interface here.