Mander Organ Builders Forum

Monnikendam, Andriessen et. al. back in print

blanni

Hi all,

I know that there's been a lot of chat on this forum about the above 2 composers in particular. In this respect am pleased to advise that Ascolta Music Publishing appears to have acquired the old Herman Zengerink catalogue which includes a lot of Hendrik Andriessen's works (Chorales 1, 2 & 4, Intermezzi, Aria, 4 studi, Passacaglia, Sinfonia, Sonata da chiesa, Suite, Thema met variaties, Toccata) and 'the' Marius Monnikendam Toccata.

Website is currently under construction but if you email info@ascolta.nl Gerald the MD will respond to your request. I've just ordered the Monnikendam Toccata & Cortège directly from him. It appears that the Toccata is only just back in print this year. EUR 7.2 per score and 6.5 p&p, and you can settle in GBP to their account with Santander in the UK. Scores arrived in a few days from the Netherlands so am very happy with the service.

Strongly recommend those who are interested in these works to be in touch with Gerald for copies. I can attest that the quality of the scores - printing and binding - is very good!

Cheers,

Nick

This is interesting as just today the Benjamin Saunders CD of Andriessen's music played at Leeds Cathedral popped through the door. I play the Thema met variaties and also the Offertorium (published in a Dutch anthology of liturgical music) both of which appear on the disc soundng very atmospheric on the Leeds N&B/Klais. The current organist at the RC Cathedral in Utrecht where Andriessen played is Wouter Van Belle and he is not only an expert on Andriesssen, Strategier etc. but also works hard to keep their music 'played' through recitals and CDs.

http://www.woutervanbelle.nl/

A

Thanks for the information. This is good to know. A shame I've already ordered Andriessen's Thema met Variaties from Presto as mentioned in the other thread, but they have a six week lead time so I'm not expecting it to arrive until next month.

Ben Saunders' CD is excellent. I bought it a few months ago and have enjoyed listening to it several times since then.

Agreed the Ben Saunders disc is rather fine.

AJJ could you possibly send over details of the anthology the offertorium is in as I'd like to source a copy of that too.

Thanks all,

Nick

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this. I had acquired the Sonata da Chiesa earlier in the year via Boeijenga (http://www.boeijengamusic.com), who were extremely helpful, so thought it must be back in print again.

I have enjoyed immensely the Thema met Variaties and the Sonata da Chiesa, and would like to learn some more. Is there anyone who plays Andriessen's toccata that can attest to how hard it is?