Mander Organ Builders Forum

What do people ask you about organs?

churchmouse

Anyone care to share what you get asked about or comments you get when strangers come up to the organ console? ( Or wherever they talk to you about the organ).

I've had some screamingly funny questions and comments from those who don't have a clue, but if time (or not playing a recessional!) I did try to answer them and help pass on some passion and information; you never know, that question may one day be something THEY answer! A frequent one is "Why is there more than one keyboard?" - and "Where do you turn up the volume?" Anyone got any other little gems for me? Send me a private message or email me if you prefer.

Oh, pipes are also fair game and organ music in general. I will enjoy anything anyone cares to contribute!

(Of course am hoping to get some little vignettes for that book...) :)

Have fun... and thank you in advance!

I'm not an organist and don't very often receive questions, but one thing that does seem to crop up regularly is that many people are completely unaware that there are more pipes (in fact, the vast majority) inside. They think that what they see is what they get!

I'm not an organist and don't very often receive questions, but one thing that does seem to crop up regularly is that many people are completely unaware that there are more pipes (in fact, the vast majority) inside. They think that what they see is what they get!

Spot on, John. I also remember the horror when I told someone that in fact some of the ones they were admiring were dummies. Perhaps I shouldn't have....

I remember being asked once after my school commisioned a new organ, how much better the new organ was since it was so much bigger than the one it replaced.

The small 2 manual and pedal organ on wheels replaced a large 3 manual whose fixed but detached console was the only visible part of the instrument, the rest being hidden behind grills behind the hall stage.

In the days when my console was in the North Chapel I could be surrounded, particularly at big events, by any number of people. I even found, one midnight Mass, people sitting on the organ bench who were reluctant to move until I suggested they might like to play for the celebration.

One day I heard behind me "Look, he can do it with his feet!"