Mander Organ Builders Forum

Peter Collins...end of an era.

headcase

Sorry to see this posted on Peter Collins Ltd webpage.

Notice : the organ building firm of Peter Collins Ltd entered a creditor's voluntary liquidation on 20th January 2017 and a meeting of creditors was held on 30th January 2017.

All enquiries should be directed to the liquidator at

Elwell, Watchorn, Saxton LLP
109 Swan Street
Sileby
Loughborough
Leicestershire LE12 7NN

Phone : 01509 815150

Email : leicester@ewslip.co.uk

A great shame. If nobody buys out the remains of the firm (if there are any) then I hope the staff affected by this find jobs with similar firms, or in other trades, ASAP. It is indeed the end of an era.

I remember seeing the organ in the Dame Monica Wills Memorial Chapel soon after it was installed (2007/8, Peter Collins - NPOR E01290): his firm had originally built it back in 1983 for the now closed First Church of Christ Scientist, Clifton, Bristol (NPOR N09076). A nice instrument too.

Dave

I'd hazard a guess that this sad situation is as a consequence of the reducing interest in the organ in this country.

I should imagine that drum and guitar manufacturers might be doing fairly well, though.

I'd hazard a guess that this sad situation is as a consequence of the reducing interest in the organ in this country.

I should imagine that drum and guitar manufacturers might be doing fairly well, though.

So true. I often tune into the news programme, BBC Look North that covers East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, especially because Hull is the so-called City of Culture 2017. You can bet that if there's a twang and bang concert in the city it will be covered by the programme. Yet recently the Hull Philharmonic Orchestra celebrated an anniversary which included a world premiere of Karl Jenkins' "6000 Pipes," a tribute to Hull's magnificent Forster & Andrews/John Compton concert organ in the City Hall and with Jonathan Scott at the console. Did the BBC cover it in their local TV news programme by perhaps interviewing the organist or giving a flavour of the organ piece? Of course not, it's serious culture and it's the BBC!

Hi

I strrongly suspect that BBC news coverage of such events is determined more by the availability of camera crews.

Also, it's essential to let media know about events - don't expect them to pick things up, send a press release well in advance - then at least you might have a small chance of some coverage.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

I strrongly suspect that BBC news coverage of such events is determined more by the availability of camera crews.

Also, it's essential to let media know about events - don't expect them to pick things up, send a press release well in advance - then at least you might have a small chance of some coverage.

Every Blessing

Tony

Yes I realise this. My profession was a PR consultant.

The thread seems to have taken a rapid turn away from the sad demise of the Peter Collins' firm towards the apparent lack of interest in the organ, topics which might well be linked of course.

So an article which I saw recently in the Washington Post (but published about a year ago) might be of interest:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/freeing-the-pipe-organ-from-the-usual-grind/2016/03/10/ebf0f48a-e487-11e5-b0fd-073d5930a7b7_story.html?utm_term=.bff6d29574a6

CEP