Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hull City Hall

I made a very long trip to Hull to hear the wonderful instrument in the City Hall last Thursday. I must admit it exceeded all my expectations. Beautiful choruses that blended well, an excellent English full swell and a dazzling array of colours of varying intensities and a full organ to blow out the cobwebs! This surely must rank as one of our finest civic instruments.

Roy Massey showed off the organ with great aplomb with a varied programme which demonstrated all aspects of the instrument. Bearing in mind Dr Massey gives relatively few recitals these days I guess it speaks volumes of what he thinks of the organ as its a long journey to Hull for him. I must admit I have a real soft spot for hearing our more "senior" organists who still give recitals to a very high standard - age is only a number after all.

I made a promise to myself to visit more instruments this year particularly "up north". I've targeted Ripon Cathedral next. Does anyone have any suggestions for any instruments worth hearing in Northern England (excluding the North West which I've visited extensively).

If you are going to Yorkshire and surrounding areas, then Bridlington Priory is quite a thrilling instrument, so too is the large Walker in Ampleforth Abbey (not far from Ripon). Doncaster Minster, Selby Abbey (very recently rebuilt), Beverley Minster and perhaps the RC Cathedral in Leeds.

I have deliberately not mentioned the obvious ones in the North East (eg Durham, York etc)!

Richard

York is NOT in the North East lol, its not far from Leeds, and just along the 1079 to Beverley, much less south than Ampleforth, ( I live just 12 miles from York :) )

Of course. It is in Yorkshire!

The organ of Hull City Hall is a truly magnificent instrument. As a young boy I was privileged to see Compton’s rebuild and enlarge it in 1950 and got to know Jimmy Taylor, John Compton’s right-hand man. I attended the first recital given by Fernando Germani and Norman Strafford, the City Organist and consultant overseeing the rebuild.

Perhaps understandably, nobody has mentioned in this thread the organ in Hull Minster (formerly Holy Trinity Parish Church) which contains yet another masterpiece by way of a rebuild and enlargement by Compton. Having not been rebuilt since 1938 it is presently not in the best of health. The reeds were sublimely voiced by the legendary Billy Jones. When funds are eventually raised for a complete restoration it will be another gem in the Yorkshire organ scene.

York is NOT in the North East lol, its not far from Leeds, and just along the 1079 to Beverley, much less south than Ampleforth, ( I live just 12 miles from York :) )

I wasn't suggesting York was in the North-East though it might look like that from my reply. Shropshire Lad was asking for organs of interest "up north" and he mentioned Ripon as a possible candidate, so surely it would not be unreasonable to then list some good organs not a million miles from Ripon (which is what I did)? I should have then just said that I didn't mention York Minster as it was so well known already, and further up the Country, Durham!

There are two organs of note in Harrogate I think, though I cannot remember enough detail - a four-manual in a church in the town centre and a fine 3 manual just out of town in what my memory tells me might be a Pearson church with a fine stone vault and good acoustic?

There are two organs of note in Harrogate I think, though I cannot remember enough detail - a four-manual in a church in the town centre and a fine 3 manual just out of town in what my memory tells me might be a Pearson church with a fine stone vault and good acoustic?

the ones in Harrogate are the 4 man one at St. Peters, a late departed friend was organist there, I have a private recording done in the 80's, just after Ernest Hart installed his 32' speakers and a Bert Preted rebuilt it. And the other, I think is St.john's, Bilton,

the ones in Harrogate are the 4 man one at St. Peters, a late departed friend was organist there, I have a private recording done in the 80's, just after Ernest Hart installed his 32' speakers and a Bert Preted rebuilt it. And the other, I think is St.john's, Bilton,

St Peter's - yes I remember now. Also, I think the Church I was thinking of is St Wilfred's, and it is actually a Temple Moore Church - not Pearson, but still very impressive. I have just looked on NPOR and see that the organ in there is a 3 manual Harrison. It is situated in the North Transept and clothed in a rather ugly pipe rack!

There's nothing like live music, but for those who have not enjoyed the experience of hearing the magnificent organ of Hull City Hall, here are some audio and combined audio-visual clips featuring Paul Derrett, better known in times past on these pages as "Cynic." They amply give a reasonable impression of the organ's vast resources.

http://www.paulderrett.co.uk/multimedia.html

and if I am right, the sound was from an ancient pair of Tandy PZM's and a tascam handheld recorder lol.

As a "non Organist", I am always very happy, when the person in command of a larger instrument, plays effortlessly, or near enough

I am always very happy, when the person in command of a larger instrument, plays effortlessly, or near enough

Yes, I agree, being a fan of Paul anyway. It's also good to see that he doesn't rely on a registrant. He really does play the instrument in every respect. And in Guilmant's Priere & Berceuse on that link in post #11 I was also pleased that he didn't take it at the gruesomely slow speed marked in my copy. Glad I'm not the only one who feels an imperative to get it over and done with!

CEP