Mander Organ Builders Forum

A discovery

Martin Cooke

Not sure how it popped up but this YouTube video drew itself to my attention a few days ago. It's Antony Baldwin playing his own Mr Theo Saunders, His Trumpet Tune which is a really jolly piece. It's published by Banks as are lots of other pieces by Antony Baldwin and I look forward to discovering more. Any recommendations?

I knew Theo Saunders a little at one time. He was Oxford and FRCO and worked for a few years as DoM at the Junior School of Ryde School, Isle of Wight. He was a splendid organist and amongst other happy memories of him, I remember a superb accompaniment he provided for me and a choir I used to run (the Tritone Singers) on the Island, of the Duruflé Requiem. This was on the Willis at All Saints in Ryde where organ builder, Andrew Cooper, is now organist. I'm not sure where Theo went in the intervening years after leaving Ryde, but as many forum members will know, he eventually became organist at St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, but became ill and died last year aged just 58. The Trumpet Tune gives a very happy remembrance of him and I'm only sorry that I haven't come across it before.