Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pershore Abbey

Geoffrey Morgan

7 hours ago, DariusB said:

Hopefully, not like the solo reed on the recently-binned Radley College organ which turned up on Radio 3 yesterday? The presenter described the sound as 'extraordinary'  - which is one way of putting it.

Ok - definitely not HNBs finest but they were doing what was asked of them by the college. They wanted party horns on next to no wind pressure and being a company who were not used to low pressure mechanical action did what they could. I speak as one who worked on the organ and for a while looked after it. The voicing of the organ (apart from the party horns) was pretty well perfect.

To put this into context, the HNB organ is being removed because the chapel is being hugely enlarged so it won't be able to cope.

By the way....

Horizontal trumpets have been around for a while and have always been a love 'em or hate' em thing. For me, the best example of them are on the organ of St John's Cambridge. I'm not talking about the 1994 Mander organ because they were installed in 1954 by Hill, Norman and Beard and were experimental because Spanish trumpets were not 'a thing' in English organs. The experiment worked - the organ sounded fabulous ( I know because I was a chorister and was inspired to be an organ builder).

I certainly didn't mean to cause offence - apologies if any was taken.   As you say, they're of their time, and some things from then have lasted better than others.  But I wonder if the recording is also a problem - I rarely use en chamade reeds for anything recorded, because a mic placement close enough to ensure general clarity is often too close for chamades to sound any good.   

12 hours ago, DariusB said:

I certainly didn't mean to cause offence - apologies if any was taken.   As you say, they're of their time, and some things from then have lasted better than others.  But I wonder if the recording is also a problem - I rarely use en chamade reeds for anything recorded, because a mic placement close enough to ensure general clarity is often too close for chamades to sound any good.   

None taken!

P

• 1 month later...
On 24/03/2021 at 21:14, stewartt said:

Oh dear, this looks like the sort of specification that people drew up in the sixties. And again we see that fundamental mistake of a Swell division with no 8ft Diapason. Only two significant 8ft manual flue stops on an instrument of this size, and one of those derived from the pedal? Really? Oh dear. Space is presumably limited but is the solution to pile upperwork on to limited foundation tone? I shudder to think what the 'Herald Trumpet' will sound like if it ever gets installed.

Perhaps when I hear it I will eat my words but I have a horrible feeling .........

Yes - I had the same thoughts. I wonder if it might also lack subtlety. No decent 16ft. flue on the Pedal Organ. (The previous instrument did at least possess an Open Wood. Mind you, it was at ground level, so there was more room to lay out the organ.)

I wonder if they will regret disposing of this:

https://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N12480

• 2 years later...