Mander Organ Builders Forum

List of beautiful English Organs

OrganistOnTheHill

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Famous for the majesty of its principal chorus, which inspired many including Thomas Lewis and Arthur Harrison, but what intrigued me when I was there about twenty years ago (before the most recent restoration and re-ordering) was the variety and stunning beauty of the soft registers, both individually and in combination..

Image result for all saints church cheltenham, organ

Image result for all saints church cheltenham, organ

All Saints' Church, Cheltenham, Glos.

Hill organ, 1887. Above shows the main case on the east wall of the north transept (containing the Great) designed by Dr A Hill. Below is the chancel great case designed by H. Prothero (successor to A. Middleton, the architect of the church - 1868).

A question: Does anyone know of any other Hill organ cases with integral statuary, or is this unique?

Some really good things coming through now, including quite a few I had no idea of!  The Highnam one presents a query: are we allowing it if it's not a proper architectural case?

In the mean time, Bolton Parish Church, another A G Hill design:

758890.jpg?display=1&htype=100001&type=r

What a lovely picture of Old Radnor - it's a quite magical case.  I was in the church once to ring the bells.  I didn't get a chance to play the organ, but just standing in front of it was an experience.  New Radnor (which I did play) has a nice little old Walker behind a decent case that was made for a different instrument.

Incidentally, Lady Jeans's version of the history of the Old Radnor case The Organ Vol.70, No. 277) has been widely questioned - it is suggested that she had a pre-conceived idea about what was what.  I would go along with those who maintain that it really is a very old case.

1 hour ago, AJJ said:

The Hay on Wye organ is a bit of a mess..

A

In some ways!  I'm not a big fan of adding digital to pipe organs, for example.  However, I think the case is more than merely charming, and the instrument itself is far superior to the vast majority of instruments of my acquaintance in the county (Powys).

11 hours ago, SomeChap said:

Some really good things coming through now, including quite a few I had no idea of!  The Highnam one presents a query: are we allowing it if it's not a proper architectural case?

In the mean time, Bolton Parish Church, another A G Hill design:

758890.jpg?display=1&htype=100001&type=r

That is a masterpiece indeed.

11 hours ago, SomeChap said:

In the mean time, Bolton Parish Church, another A G Hill design

It would be really helpful if NPOR links were inserted, wherever possible.

I've just inputted "Bolton" to its 'Search by Address' box and was confronted with the attached. Without local knowledge, or sometimes extensive Googling . . .

In this case (!), I even clicked on the wrong 'St Peter', to begin with. I can almost hear him jangling his keys. 

Many thanks.

bolton50.jpg

35 minutes ago, David Drinkell said:

I wondered if you might be thinking of Monty Python - Notlob!

David: one of the less welcome features of clinical fatigue is 'brain fog'. This renders a page such as that I screen-printed above nigh-on unintelligible and produces even deeper enervation.

It is almost inconceivable that someone posting something on an organ would not have the NPOR page to hand. 

As I said, it "makes things easier".

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=P00753

Hampshire, Monk Sherborne, All Saints.  Bodley case; he worked here between 1887-9 so I suspect the case was designed somewhere around 1887.  As F.H. Sutton did not die until March 1888 and was known to work with Bodley on organ case design, I suspect his involvement here, especially as the single manual and pedal organ was built by Wordsworth. 

33401097_10155543960962548_7287290136612569088_n.jpg

P1890548ed800c909595.jpg.752cee1aa7fddab4c2a5677d70e1242c.jpg

From the Great Exhibition of 1851 and a delight to play, this beautiful little masterpiece - which can be heard via the NPOR link: http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N05945

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wiveton/wiveton.htm

http://www.glavenvalleychurches.org.uk/index.php/wiveton-parish/

[For some reason, the image size has been restricted to just over 80Kb.]

This one was also built for the Great Exhibition - Gray & Davison's 'Chancel Organ" with case by J.D. Seddon, now at Stowlangtoft, Suffolk (http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=H00031).  The colours are a bit anaemic in this picture (reminds me of over-cooked greens Anglais!) and the actual effect is much richer.

XMLFunctions.cgi?Fn=GetPicture&Rec_index

8 hours ago, John Furse said:

[For some reason, the image size has been restricted to just over 80Kb.]

It seems we have an allowance of 500k for attachments, so depending on what you have uploaded already will restrict what is left.  I had to abandon uploading two pictures recently as I did not enough space left.  I wish all websites dealing with pictures (especially the NPOR) worked like Facebook which automatically downsizes them.   

49 minutes ago, Philip J Wells said:

It seems we have an allowance of 500k for attachments, so depending on what you have uploaded already will restrict what is left.  I had to abandon uploading two pictures recently as I did not enough space left.  I wish all websites dealing with pictures (especially the NPOR) worked like Facebook which automatically downsizes them.   

Thanks for the explanation, Philip.

[There is another, incredible 'Great Exhibition' G&D, at St Anne, Limehouse: http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N16712. It is not exactly a 'looker', though.]

Gray & Davison exhibited an organ with a case decorated by J.P. Seddon at the International Exhibition of 1862, rather than the Great Exhibition of 1851. It was illustrated that year in the Illustrated London News, and is now in St. Peter, Aldborough Hatch. The organ at Stowlangtoft is very similar, but the decoration differs in detail. Seddon did not start in practice until 1852, when he was 24.  

On 27/04/2018 at 10:01, OrganistOnTheHill said:

I don't want to start a list here but I think it would be nice to have a thread containing your experiences with a particular pipe organ in the UK.

I've looked hard, but cannot see any reference by OrganistOnTheHill to the location of the organs he mentioned. For those who have not twigged his name, the organs mentioned are at Harrow School Chapel and St Mary's Church, Harrow on the Hill. The fact that I grew up in the same town is completely coincidental...