Mander Organ Builders Forum

Charles Steggall

Martin Cooke

As a boy, I guess that I thought of Charles Steggall as one of my top composers - well, it was because of his lovely and very atmospheric anthem, Remember now thy creator,  which I wholeheartedly commend to choirs everywhere! However, there is very little Steggall available in places like IMSLP and I wonder if anybody happens to have a copy of his piece based on Jerusalem on high, that they might be willing to scan to me. I still have that splendid Choveaux Prelude-Improvisation that I could copy in return! Many thanks, in anticipation! I would be interested in hearing about any other Steggall that anyone knows too.

I've got a Fugue in D minor somewhere at home by him. I printed it out from an organ collection of some type from IMSLP quite some time ago, but I forget which. It must have looked interesting enough on paper for me to print out, but I've certainly never played it. I'm sure I can dig it out for you should you be interested (I think there is another piece with it also).

Fitzjohn Music Publications     ( www.impulse-music.co.uk/fitzjohnmusic)    (e-mail  -   fitzjohnmusic@btinternet.com)   publishes Steggall's Three Preludes and Fugues at £ 8 - 50 + p and p

These are different, and easier (!) than the one on IMSLP.