Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bach Sinfonia from Cantata 29 - arrangements

stewartt

For all you experts out there: sorry to be such an ignoramus, but I've been trying to find out where I can buy Dupre's arrangement of this piece and I can't seem to track it down. Also, I believe that Guilmant also arranged it although most people seem to play the Dupre one. Any comments on the relative merits of the two?

Not sure of relative merits of the two, nor have I seen a copy of the Dupré, but the Guilmant is on IMSLP. If you search on Wir danken dir under J.S. Bach, then go to Arrangements and Transcriptions, you will find it and a few others, but not the Dupré. There are others - Noel Rawsthorne and Martin Setchell both come to mind.

On 22/08/2018 at 12:54, stewartt said:

For all you experts out there: sorry to be such an ignoramus, but I've been trying to find out where I can buy Dupre's arrangement of this piece and I can't seem to track it down.

Dupre’s arrangement of the Sinfonia can be found in Vol. 12 of Dupre’s now rather infamous edition of Bach’s complete organ works: Oeuvres Complètes pour Orgue de J. S. Bach, annotés et doigtées par Marcel Dupré, Volume XII.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come across my David Patrick edition of this, it's published by Edwin Ashdown Ltd and a quick google shows that it is currently available. I went over to the Dupre version a few years ago when it was reissued at a more affordable price. As AJJ states, the Patrick edition is much more approachable, but like any arrangement of this piece, you can't get away from the constant semiquaver figuration in the RH some of which is a bit uncomfortable.