Mander Organs
Sign in to follow this  
Choir Man

British Organ Going To Germany

I saw this instrument advertised on the IBO's list.  It looks like a fine instrument.  I imagine that the unusual apsidal design of the case(s?) might have made it difficult to re-accommodate without electrification, and that most organ builders would be at the least rather circumspect about ripping out an original action.

Our loss is their gain!

Seriously, though, I'm glad to hear of British organs finding homes in other European countries.  After all, we have adopted sounds from Europe over many decades and it's nice to know that British sounds are finding favour over there too.  Tubas seem to be in favour these days too.

I suppose this can be looked at in several ways. The optimist in me says that these instruments bring with them the musical traditions and culture for which they were conceived, which has attracted a certain amount of interest here in the Netherlands. In particular, a number of churches hold evensong every now and again, particularly in Leiden (Hooglandse Kerk, Willis), and The Hague (Ss John & Philip, though that's actually an Anglican church with an original Goetze and Gwynn), something unknown to any Dutch denominations.

Another example is the 1883 Harrison organ from St Peter's, Bishop Auckland, which is being restored and installed in the Grote Kerk in Wijk bij Duurstede close to Utrecht as a choir organ. My wife has played this organ, it's her home turf, and says it was a bit of a belter. It'll sound quite different in the church it's going to. Looking forward to asking nicely if we can play  again, I don't think it will disappoint.

http://www.orgelnieuws.nl/grote-kerk-wijk-duurstede-krijgt-engels-koororgel/