Mander Organs
Martin Cooke

Can we all try a bit harder?

58 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

I don't think the Peeters was worthy of Grade 8 - more 6, I would have thought.

I'm fairly sure I remember it being on the grade 4 syllabus around 50 years ago.

I remember about fifty years ago thinking that "Exurgat Deus" from the "Laudate Dominum" suite was the last word in flashy modern organ music (a performance by Rodney Tomkins, then teaching me at Colchester Royal Grammar School, on the marvellous organ at Walsingham still comes to mind).  Since then, I've played the whole suite from time to time and certain movements rather a lot. "Meditation" was definitely on the Ass Board list for one of the lower grades - I remember a chorister at Belfast playing it.

The other Hurford pieces to look out for are the Chorale Preludes - all of them have their uses - and you can't always say that. 

I had a number of enquiries after the service today about the Rebecca Groom te Velde Minuet and Trio based on The Three Kings. It is in the Epiphany volume in the OUP Hymn Settings for Organists series. My other contributions today included the Buxtehude Chorale Fantasia on Wie schön leuchtet (from OUP Christmas Album) and an arrangement of the Cornelius originally published by Basil Ramsay. And then, as the concluding voluntary I played the Postlude on Was Lebet by Chris Tambling (from the Epiphany album mentioned above.)