Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Škrabl Organ for Our Lady of Victories RC church, Kensington

petergunstone

How fascinating.  This could be a very interesting organ. Should we expect any fundamental differences between the Montre and Diapason on the Grand Orgue, or just Open Diaps 1 and 2? Personally, I would be hoping that the G.O. Diapason would be quite Gamba-like. The main reservation I have (typing from my comfortable armchair) is the absence of an 8' Hautbois on the Récit. I think players might come to regret this fairly quickly. Speaking from experience, I'd find it a much greater inconvenience than the lack of an 8' Diap. Also, Solo flutes at 8' and 4' when there are already plenty of flutes in the spec?

6 hours ago, Vox Humana said:

The main reservation I have (typing from my comfortable armchair) is the absence of an 8' Hautbois on the Récit. I think players might come to regret this fairly quickly. Speaking from experience, I'd find it a much greater inconvenience than the lack of an 8' Diap. 

I agree. And in any case, a 16ft oboe is no match for a decent swell trumpet. And no 16ft tone on the Great on a large instrument such as this? And no solo Clarinet? 

2 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

And in any case, a 16ft oboe is no match for a decent swell trumpet.

Given the stated Cavaillé-Coll  influence, it is possible that this stop might in reality be a 16' Basson.  As a rule of thumb, I prefer a 16' Contra Fagotto to a Double Trumpet on the Swell as it makes for a better miniature Full Swell with an 8' Oboe and Diap chorus.

The stoplist to me at least looks a bit odd. I suppose it depends on what one wants to play on it but there seem to be a few anachronisms if one follows the C-C idea. ‘Dulcian’  and 2 rank pedal mixture for example?

A

Yes, it does look a bit odd.  One would expect a Gambe, at least in addition to the other 8' stops on the Great. I think the result will be a fine organ, but maybe not a C-C clone.

I have no experience at all of Skrabl's work.  I don't think we have any this side of the Atlantic.  I have an invitation to give a concert on the little one at Frinton next time I am home.  I'd like to get to know their job at Lyme Regis, if I ever find myself down that way.

I see they rebuilt the Percy Daniel organ at Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol.  This was one of Daniel's more adventurous jobs and was well thought-of when it was first done.  It looks as if Skrabl have carefully revised and augmented it and it should be worth visiting.

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=E01520

The Sacred Heart and St Francis, Frinton-on-Sea, Dorset. 2009,Op 216.

I didn't read  "in the French manner, very much following the work of the 19th century builder Cavaille Coll" as implying a strict C-C clone.  I have to say that there does seem to be an excess of flutes in this spec. Not sure what the logic is, unless the church has a particularly dead acoustic that needs warming up. If it were up to me I'd sacrifice one of the Solo ones (probably the 8') for a Cromhorne or Clarinet type stop, whichever would fit the style of the rest of the voicing.

58 minutes ago, David Drinkell said:

Yes, it does look a bit odd.  One would expect a Gambe, at least in addition to the other 8' stops on the Great. I think the result will be a fine organ, but maybe not a C-C clone.

I have no experience at all of Skrabl's work.  I don't think we have any this side of the Atlantic.  I have an invitation to give a concert on the little one at Frinton next time I am home.  I'd like to get to know their job at Lyme Regis, if I ever find myself down that way.

I’ve seen the instruments in Lyme Regis and Beaminster but heard neither. There have been rumours that both instruments are quite, um, brash but I’ve also heard that said about the beautiful instrument in St Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park.