Mander Organ Builders Forum

King's, Cambridge - Back Row

DHM

From my days at another college in Cambridge, I had always understood the back row, then under Philip Ledger, to comprise fourteen choral scholars (4A, 4T, 6B). Looking at material on YouTube - some of which has I suspect has been placed there without permission, the back row has apparently varied between 15 and 16 from 2008 to 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

DHM: Is you observation based on what was shown on the TV or a visit to Cambridge? What gets shown on TV is rarely a typical set-up and the back row might be augmented if the TV director thinks it would make better TV. Also the back row might be larger if the repertoire required it. Likewise the front row may have more than the usual daily number of boys. Getting a TV gig pays money so I can imagine as many people would want to be involved as possible.

The mystery deepens. On this page http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/choir/about/choir-today.html it states "King’s College Choir comprises 16 boy choristers, and 14 male undergraduates. There are also two organ scholars."

But looking at the pictures on the same page. The photo of the choir in the chapel stalls does have 14 men in the back row, interestingly split 8/6. The picture on the same page of the choir recording Messiah has no less than 17 men in the back row.

• 2 weeks later...

On a similar note St John's up the road now seem to have 18 on the back row for regular services. Their website still says 15 choral scholars (up from 14 under George Guest I believe with an extra bass).

I suppose adding on gap-year volunteers etc is relatively easy, the limit being how many can squeeze in the choir stalls.

Intriguing.  Lay Clerks, if the term is used correctly, usually means singers in ‘New Foundation’ cathedrals, Canterbury, Durham, Ely, Peterborough, Rochester, Winchester etc.  That would not be inconsistent for past members of Cambridge college choirs.  One assumes that the current members calling themselves Lay Clerks are not Choral Scholars.