Mander Organ Builders Forum

Orchestral Works With Organ Part (not Solo)

Guest Lee Blick

Oh yeh, I forgot that one. I was in the boys chorus in the recording with Claudio Abbadio and the European Community Youth Orchestra at St. Albans. It was awesome all those cymbals crashing together.  Apparently it was filmed by the BBC.  I would give an arm and a leg to see a recording of it.

Deutsche Grammophon made a commercial recording of the performance. Alas, I've ditched my vinyl copy, but there is a CD available.

JS

John Sayer mentions that Colin Davis and the LSO performed the Berlioz Te Deum at the Proms. I thought it was a missed opportunity as this was during the time Manders were in and the organ used for the performance was digital. Much better to have waited until the Voice of Jupiter was back in full voice before doing this work.

No, it was indeed the (ailing) Voice of Jupiter on one of its last outings before dismantling and rebuilding. There was barely enough wind for the big Tubas (and not much else) at the beginning, and the organist (I believe it was Susan Landale) just about won on decibels.

Sorry to correct you, but I was standing in the second row in the arena at the time and was nearly lifted off my feet! I wouldn't have bothered going if an "applance" was to have been used.

JS