Mander Organ Builders Forum

FRCO recital -- easiest programme?

mrbouffant

I was looking through the recital portion of the FRCO examination and wondered what the easiest choice of programme might be, considering the rubric.

The repertoire list is here: https://www.rco.org.uk/pdfs/ExamRegulations19-20.pdf#page=15.

I thought of an all-German programme, of 24.5 minutes, in this order:

Mendy 4 (movt 1)

Bach BWV662

Hindy 1 (latter part)

Seems straightforward enough. What do you think? What programme might be easier whilst still meeting the rubric?

Surely the easiest programme depends on the organist, and how well the know each piece. If you had been playing a particular piece for years, and knew it inside out, surely you might find it easier than a technically less demanding piece, that was completely unknown. 

I agree that it's a good thing to go for pieces which you find easier to play - no point trying a trio sonata for FRCO unless you're absolutely 110% sure of it.  Another consideration is that the examiners might get tired of the most commonly played pieces so it's not a bad idea to go for the less well-known ones.  I played Bach's prelude on 'Dies sind die heiligen zehn Gebot", Howells's Psalm Prelude Set 2 no. 3 and the first movement of the Harwood Sonata many years ago when I struck it lucky (Vaughan Williams also played the Harwood for the same exam some years previously).

I’m sure everything has changed since I took it in 1981. I played the big Bach Vater Unser from ClavierÜbung III, one of the hardest things I’ve ever learned, a Howells Psalm Prelude and the Leighton Paean which I’d learned at least 4 years earlier. I passed the practical first time but failed the paperwork, despite having just got a 2nd Class degree in Music from Oxford. Go figure!

22 hours ago, David Drinkell said:

the first movement of the Harwood Sonata many years ago when I struck it lucky (Vaughan Williams also played the Harwood for the same exam some years previously).

I also played the Harwood for FRCO but I've never, ever played it since!