Mander Organ Builders Forum

David Briggs, BBC Radio 3 on 25/09/2019

handsoff

Members may be interested to hear David Briggs playing the organ in Llandaff Cathedral via Radio 3 on Wednesday at 7.30pm.

The programme is Saint-Saens, Bach, Widor and Dupré then an interval followed by an improvised symphony based on three Welsh themes.

Actually there are two concerts featuring David Briggs tomorrow:

2pm Poulenc Organ Concerto & Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. Recorded on 25th May at the St David's Cathedral Festival https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008p77

7pm The concert mentioned by handsoff, recorded on 26th May from the same festival. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008p7k

Thanks for this. Will make sure to listen. Though I might have to catch the second one one iPlayer (or whatever it is called these days) as have a rehearsal at the same time. 

On a related note, does anyone know if any of the OrganFest was recorded? Would be great to hear some of the concerts for those off us who weren’t able to make it. 

I'm not sure 'dead' is the right word, but there is not a huge accoustic. There are lots of hard surfaces for sound to bounce off.

For me, having been there, the great thing was that the organ was not overwhelming, because there were several hundred people there to soak up the excessive edge of the instrument. When the building is more or less empty it can be overwhelming. I once made the mistake of going to a recital with the beginnings of a headache......

There were comments on the night about how close the organ had been miked up. If I remember the microphones were under the Majestas. This may have contributed to what you heard on the radio.

• 4 weeks later...