Mander Organ Builders Forum

David J Rogers (Doncaster)

Peter Allison

I'm truly sorry to hear that.  Dave was a constant and enthusiastic presence at the Leeds Town Hall recitals - he made some fine recordings - and his knowledge not just of organs, but of organ repertoire was astonishing.    It's particularly sad as he was so pleased to have been recently appointed at Wentworth Parish Church.  At the last 'request programme' we had, I'd finally got round to fulfilling his long-stand request to play Peeters' "Flemish Rhapsody" - but he never got to hear it.  I'm sure it's not just at Leeds where his presence at recitals will be greatly missed.

14 hours ago, DariusB said:

I'm truly sorry to hear that.  Dave was a constant and enthusiastic presence at the Leeds Town Hall recitals - he made some fine recordings - and his knowledge not just of organs, but of organ repertoire was astonishing.    It's particularly sad as he was so pleased to have been recently appointed at Wentworth Parish Church.  At the last 'request programme' we had, I'd finally got round to fulfilling his long-stand request to play Peeters' "Flemish Rhapsody" - but he never got to hear it.  I'm sure it's not just at Leeds where his presence at recitals will be greatly missed.

I agree, his organ knowledge was extraordinary, and he was a very quiet ( but could be stubborn) his acquaintances in the organ world were much talked about. He made many commercial recordings for the likes of Paul Derett and always had good reviews. He went everywhere with his "bag of tricks", a simple portable  DAT recorder and his 80's Tandy PZM microphones. The last time I actually saw him was at Leeds Town Hall, and he had just stuck his mics on the stage to record Jonathan Scott (last January) 

I spoke to him the day before he passed, and he was in good spirits. I moved down to Sleaford last year, but we were going to have    "a meet"

I have been in touch with his sister in Aylesbury, and have been asked to help with his gargantuan recording collection, 1000's of them on LP (stereo and mono versions of the same thing),, CD, R to R, DAT, cassette etc

PM me for more details