Mander Organ Builders Forum

Seth Bingham: Sonata of Prayer and Praise, Op. 60

Brizzle

Dear colleagues,

I’ve been trying, unsuccessfully, to obtain a copy of this piece.  It is in copyright, but out of print.  My emails to the publisher haven’t been answered, and I’ve attempted to purchase it from various book-selling websites with no success (even after shelling out some dosh).  Does anyone have a copy that they’d be willing to sell/lend/copy?  I’d be most grateful.

Thanks!

I dug around as, I suspect, you did. It was published by H. W. Gray in 1959. A little further digging led me to 'Presto Music' and to 'Jubilate' Music but I can't find the title in any of their catalogues. 

The 'Six pieces for Organ' op. 9 are on IMSLP.

Seth Bingham, of course is dead (in 1972) as is the dedicatee Leonard Raver, who died in 1992.

Have you tried contacting Christopher Marks? - who, in 2011, presented to the New York AGO Presidents Day, a paper on the works of Seth Bingham. His email address is:  csmarks.organ@gmail.com  He has also recorded the work in Vol 3 'Cathedral Strains' - the organ works of Seth Bingham - available from Raven CD's - so he will, no doubt, have a manuscript!

Thanks for your help, S_L.  I dare say you’ll have discovered quite quickly, as I did, that obtaining the majority of Bingham’s music is a bit of an ordeal. 

I did indeed get in touch with Dr. Marks, who was most helpful, and confirmed my assumptions that the work is out-of-print and hard to obtain.  Unfortunately his copy is stored somewhere inaccessible whilst we’re all in lockdown!  

Thanks again!

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your message.  I have indeed seen the Abebooks copy, but having been stung by a less-than-scrupulous seller on that site already, I thought I’d see if I could track down a more ‘local’ copy first!

All the best.