Mander Organ Builders Forum

Jane Parker-Smith

Barry Oakley

i'm very sad to hear this news. Jane Parker-Smith's recording released on LP from Blackburn Cathedral was one of my early purchases and was played almost to destruction on a Dansette stereo unit with a tracking weight probably measured in ounces. I shall dig out the disc later today and raise a glass to her memory.

Sad news.  I recall hearing her at Reading Town Hill in the 1970s.  She played the whole of the Liszt 'Ad nos' - no mean feat on the heavy action Willis.  And it was a free lunchtime recital if I remember correctly!

11 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Very sad news, not only for the organ world as a whole, but also...

I used to fancy her.😍

Umm, the photo on the album sleeve is very fetching...

It wasn't such an early purchase as I thought being released in 1976 and was the first LP recording of the new Walker organ in Blackburn Cathedral. The disc I now have was my second version - I remember now that I bought a second copy after my first was in less than good condition. The sound quality, the organ and of course the playing is wonderful.

On 27/06/2020 at 09:05, handsoff said:

i'm very sad to hear this news. Jane Parker-Smith's recording released on LP from Blackburn Cathedral was one of my early purchases and was played almost to destruction on a Dansette stereo unit with a tracking weight probably measured in ounces. I shall dig out the disc later today and raise a glass to her memory.

Equally sadly, I have none of her recordings. Without question she was one of the world's top recitalists, men and women. I have had to resort to YouTube to hear her once again but don't think the Blackburn recording is listed. I shall have to try Spotify.

2 hours ago, Barry Oakley said:

Equally sadly, I have none of her recordings. Without question she was one of the world's top recitalists, men and women. I have had to resort to YouTube to hear her once again but don't think the Blackburn recording is listed. I shall have to try Spotify.

Her recordings are still trackdownable.  Few months ago I was rooting in a local charity shop and up popped a virtually brand new record of hers from St. Francis de Salle.  It is a digital recording, which is best enjoyed played at volume setting 11, this is a handy replacement for my original copy is virtually played out.

Upon reading about her death I immediately blasted it out at 11 and toasted her with a horrendously enormous G&T ( followed by another :) )

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 11:00, Adnosad said:

Her recordings are still trackdownable.  Few months ago I was rooting in a local charity shop and up popped a virtually brand new record of hers from St. Francis de Salle.  It is a digital recording, which is best enjoyed played at volume setting 11, this is a handy replacement for my original copy is virtually played out.

Upon reading about her death I immediately blasted it out at 11 and toasted her with a horrendously enormous G&T ( followed by another :) )

😆

I met Jane several times through a mutual friend living in Pont Street. Apart from being an excellent organist, she was unusually attractive and good fun  We ribbed her unmercifully after she did the page-turning for, I think. Ralph Downes, at the Albert Hall.

In my view, the best recording of the Saint Saëns 3 still available is of her with the Paisley Cavaillé-Coll.  A remarkable performance, particularly so when one considers that the orchestra and soloist were recorded at different times in different places.

I'm sorry she's gone.

(Edited by the moderator)

Edited by Web Master
Has caused offence

4 hours ago, Cornet IV said:

I met Jane several times through a mutual friend living in Pont Street. Apart from being an excellent organist, she was unusually attractive and good fun

I'm sorry she's gone.

So am I.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed yesterday that  the good `ol Graud had eventually woken up and placed an obit to Jane.

For some reason, probably known to themselves I found that the usual facility to comment was not available; or maybe I have just not seen the right buttons to press!

Anyway, it was a good obit methought.