Jump to content
Mander Organs
Sign in to follow this  
Barry Oakley

Jane Parker-Smith

Recommended Posts

i'm very sad to hear this news. Jane Parker-Smith's recording released on LP from Blackburn Cathedral was one of my early purchases and was played almost to destruction on a Dansette stereo unit with a tracking weight probably measured in ounces. I shall dig out the disc later today and raise a glass to her memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad news.  I recall hearing her at Reading Town Hill in the 1970s.  She played the whole of the Liszt 'Ad nos' - no mean feat on the heavy action Willis.  And it was a free lunchtime recital if I remember correctly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news, not only for the organ world as a whole, but also...

I used to fancy her.😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Very sad news, not only for the organ world as a whole, but also...

I used to fancy her.😍

Umm, the photo on the album sleeve is very fetching...

It wasn't such an early purchase as I thought being released in 1976 and was the first LP recording of the new Walker organ in Blackburn Cathedral. The disc I now have was my second version - I remember now that I bought a second copy after my first was in less than good condition. The sound quality, the organ and of course the playing is wonderful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very, very sad.

Was all set up to hear her at Selby in June.

She  was someone else altogether!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2020 at 09:05, handsoff said:

i'm very sad to hear this news. Jane Parker-Smith's recording released on LP from Blackburn Cathedral was one of my early purchases and was played almost to destruction on a Dansette stereo unit with a tracking weight probably measured in ounces. I shall dig out the disc later today and raise a glass to her memory.

Equally sadly, I have none of her recordings. Without question she was one of the world's top recitalists, men and women. I have had to resort to YouTube to hear her once again but don't think the Blackburn recording is listed. I shall have to try Spotify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barry Oakley said:

Equally sadly, I have none of her recordings. Without question she was one of the world's top recitalists, men and women. I have had to resort to YouTube to hear her once again but don't think the Blackburn recording is listed. I shall have to try Spotify.

Her recordings are still trackdownable.  Few months ago I was rooting in a local charity shop and up popped a virtually brand new record of hers from St. Francis de Salle.  It is a digital recording, which is best enjoyed played at volume setting 11, this is a handy replacement for my original copy is virtually played out.

Upon reading about her death I immediately blasted it out at 11 and toasted her with a horrendously enormous G&T ( followed by another :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...