Mander Organ Builders Forum

Canterbury Cathedral

Martin Cooke

Yesterday at Evensong, the new Canterbury organ was handed over by Andrew Scott for dedication by the Archbishop. Forumites will, I am sure enjoy a visit to the cathedral's YouTube site to hear this. Fast forward in a bit from the start - the moment in question comes after the first lesson. After the dedication, David Flood plays the Karg-Elert Nun Danket piece. 

It's here.

You may also enjoy a look at yesterday's morning Eucharist when the organ was used.

Martin.

On 06/07/2020 at 22:07, pwhodges said:

Amazing - at the end of the video of the service in which the rebuilt organ was dedicated, they cut the closing voluntary off before the end!

Paul

Hmm....  😗

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The much delayed opening recital was last night.

I thought the organ sounded quite different to its previous incarnation. Previously I would have used words such as cold and steely to describe the tone - not any more! I think re-siting the pipe work away from the vertiginous edge of the triforium arches has allowed some warmth to appear in the tone.

The new Double Open Wood is quite remarkable along with the re-pressurized  Contra Posaune. The Tubas have migrated east and have their own enclosure which I think has slightly tamed their previously ear splitting sound.

If you have some free time do  listen to the YouTube stream from last night, it really was very, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeF74Dq8v7w

21 hours ago, madorganist said:

The much delayed opening recital was last night.

I thought the organ sounded quite different to its previous incarnation. Previously I would have used words such as cold and steely to describe the tone - not any more! I think re-siting the pipe work away from the vertiginous edge of the triforium arches has allowed some warmth to appear in the tone.

The new Double Open Wood is quite remarkable along with the re-pressurized  Contra Posaune. The Tubas have migrated east and have their own enclosure which I think has slightly tamed their previously ear splitting sound.

If you have some free time do  listen to the YouTube stream from last night, it really was very, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeF74Dq8v7w

Great playing. I had the pleasure of hearing Nathan Laube play a recital for the Bristol and District Organists Association on the H&H (IVP/49) in the chapel of Clifton College back in 2019 (first time I had been to anything there since I left Clifton College back in 1995: it was great to be back) and the concert was splendid, played with little or no use of sheet music and a screen down below so we could see what Mr. Laube was doing.

Dave