Mander Organ Builders Forum

Alternative forum

Martin Cooke

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if I misunderstood something.
I'm definitely in favour of moving to a *free* forum hoster if someone is willing to administer and moderate it.

My question about contributing to costs applied only to the costs of migration with transfer of current content - not contributing to a paid-for forum.

I believe that it would not be hard to convert a backup of this forum into another system, as I offered early on - I already run several forums, including one hosted on my own equipment.  My preference is to use the (free) SMF software, and I know that has a (free) converter available - though I have no experience of its quality or completeness.  That would not cost anything unless someone else was paid to do the work; but there is the question of whether the liquidators would try to capitalise on the perceived value of the existing content, and so charge for allowing access to it or providing a copy.

Paul

Tricky problem.  Speaking purely for myself I have enjoyed perusing this site for several years whilst retaining a very low, should I say, inactive role towards its actual development.

Some very good offers to take over the site by individuals whose intentions I am quite sure are nothing but sincere.   Finance  can raise its own problems though in many unexpected ways.    One example of this would be the fact that the " bounty hunters " will be logging into this site and will be especially interested in any traffic referring to any retrievable asset and this topic will certainly furnish them with ideas .

The old cliches of " all good things have to come to an end ,eventually ", and, "  nothing lasts for ever " unfortunately come to mind.   

The  " archive" has been mentioned; yes, a pity to lose it but as has been already mentioned, how many of us have lost stuff one way or another and then realised that our lives can still carry on without it.   New brooms and all that.

The idea mooted of a free forum, and one which how shall I put it?  extends the scope of topics covered?   sounds to definitely have mileage.

As in all these situations time is of the essence, and that is at a premium it would seem.  

Plus, most pertinently, the bulk of the work will always fall upon the ubiquitous " Someone Else "

Sorry not to be more optimistic. I rest my case whilst I reach for my bulletproof vest.

While we are talking about funding possibilities to keep this board going, I think we need to bear in mind what Stephen told me during a telephone conversation...
Although there are many registered users, there are only around 30 currently active users.

That might make finding ongoing funding more difficult/expensive!

Steve

6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

...  but there is the question of whether the liquidators would try to capitalise on the perceived value of the existing content, and so charge for allowing access to it or providing a copy.

Subject to correction from someone better qualified, my understanding is that the intellectual property in a comment posted on a blog belongs to the commenter.  I realise that by 'perceived' value, you don't mean a monetary one.  I could see the subject of providing copies would be a different issue.  

Over the years I have found this forum very interesting and useful.  I do not contribute so much these days, mainly because I ceased playing some years ago (I hardly touch any keyboard these days) and no longer have much to contribute.  Yet I still read the posts with interest and would very much like to see the platform continue somewhere, somehow.  I, too, would favour a free model (would a subscription forum even be viable?) and I very much like the look of the new forum that Steve has uploaded. (Thank you, Steve!) I do occasionally search out old threads, usually through Google. Losing these wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be good if they could be preserved, so I would certainly be willing in principle to chip in to help fund a migration.

I wonder whether, on the new forum, there is any appetite for adding a category for Choirs and Choral Music?  This was mooted briefly here once, several years ago, but nothing materialised.  It is a topic dear to many organists' hearts and I would be in favour, but I am not sure how widely this view is shared.

10 hours ago, Steve Goodwin said:

So am I - but as it could disappear without much notice it would be good to have a contingency plan in place!

Steve

As we all realise this forum could disappear overnight.

Is there one reliable trustworthy location (with email address) where all of us can in that one place place our name with email address. Then if a similar forum is set up we can be notified immediately.

Having a thread on here for that purpose would leave all of us open for spamming and goodness knows what else.

Just hate to loose this forum and all its history contained therein.

Somebody asked how many members are there?

There are 1,125 members of which the most ever online was on January 19th 2019 when 255 were 'on line'!

It says so on the front page!!!

2 hours ago, Cantoris said:

As we all realise this forum could disappear overnight.

Is there one reliable trustworthy location (with email address) where all of us can in that one place place our name with email address. Then if a similar forum is set up we can be notified immediately.

Having a thread on here for that purpose would leave all of us open for spamming and goodness knows what else.

Just hate to loose this forum and all its history contained therein.

We don't need to go through that process - one of our members has already set up a new forum and it's ready to go. https://www.houndscroft.co.uk/organ-forum/

1 hour ago, S_L said:

Somebody asked how many members are there?

There are 1,125 members of which the most ever online was on January 19th 2019 when 255 were 'on line'!

... but see my comment above - very, very few are actually active on here.

6 hours ago, Vox Humana said:

Over the years I have found this forum very interesting and useful.  I do not contribute so much these days, mainly because I ceased playing some years ago (I hardly touch any keyboard these days) and no longer have much to contribute.  Yet I still read the posts with interest and would very much like to see the platform continue somewhere, somehow.  I, too, would favour a free model (would a subscription forum even be viable?) and I very much like the look of the new forum that Steve has uploaded. (Thank you, Steve!) I do occasionally search out old threads, usually through Google. Losing these wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be good if they could be preserved, so I would certainly be willing in principle to chip in to help fund a migration.

I wonder whether, on the new forum, there is any appetite for adding a category for Choirs and Choral Music?  This was mooted briefly here once, several years ago, but nothing materialised.  It is a topic dear to many organists' hearts and I would be in favour, but I am not sure how widely this view is shared.

Easy to add such a forum if you want. Consider it done!

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Goodwin said:

... but see my comment above - very, very few are actually active on here.

That wasn't what was asked!

DHM wrote "How many members do we have" - and that was the question I was answering!

I'm well aware that there are possibly only 30 or so members who actually post on here and I can understand why for some things! I think a good deal more read the posts though!! I notice, for instance that since joining in 2010, ten years ago, you have made only 43 posts of which 10 of these have been concerned with an alternative forum!

1 minute ago, S_L said:

I'm well aware that there are possibly only 30 or so members who actually post on here and I can understand why for some things! I think a good deal more read the posts though!! I notice, for instance that since joining in 2010, ten years ago, you have made only 43 posts of which 10 of these have been concerned with an alternative forum!

I'll check, but I believe when we talk about 'active' members we're talking about members logged in, not members posting. However, there is a relevant point comes out of this - I suspect many of us (like me) get the forum notifications by email and that means you get to see the text of the posting without actually logging in to the forum. So there may indeed be many(?) more 'lurkers' than 'active members'.

You are correct that I don't post much - I listen and learn!

2 hours ago, S_L said:

I think quite a number of those 1.125 are likely to have been bots though.  When I looked just now there were 20 viewers, of whom 9 were were logged-in members. I wonder how many of the remaining 11 were real people?

45 minutes ago, Steve Goodwin said:

I suspect many of us (like me) get the forum notifications by email and that means you get to see the text of the posting without actually logging in to the forum. So there may indeed be many(?) more 'lurkers' than 'active members'.

Yes, I often do this.

1 hour ago, Steve Goodwin said:

Easy to add such a forum if you want. Consider it done!

Steve

Thank you, Steve!  Now I shall have to think of something to post!

52 minutes ago, Vox Humana said:

I think quite a number of those 1.125 are likely to have been bots though.  When I looked just now there were 20 viewers, of whom 9 were were logged-in members. I wonder how many of the remaining 11 were real people?

Yes, I often do this.

Thank you, Steve!  Now I shall have to think of something to post!

I'm sure that's right, Vox. This could go at any moment whether we like it or not, and Steve has set up an excellent alternative that I am sure we need to decamp to pronto! I do hope that those who are delaying have noted the web address just in case.

39 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

I'm sure that's right, Vox. This could go at any moment whether we like it or not, and Steve has set up an excellent alternative that I am sure we need to decamp to pronto! I do hope that those who are delaying have noted the web address just in case.

I am grateful to Steve for rapidly setting up a trial alternative that provides an "insurance policy".  However attractive it is, I don't think we should be rushed into "decamping" until we know,  for certain, the status of the existing forum.  Nothing in this life comes free and we cannot expect Steve to bear the sole responsibility for operating a forum for the rest of us to sit back and enjoy.  A time may come when Steve is unwilling or unable to continue as host, so an alternative needs a proper constitution from the start and possibly a sponsor.  However boring legal matters are, we also need to ensure that a public forum complies with Data Protection regulations.   

Sorry to be so po-faced, but many of these posts seem rather ungracious and ungrateful to the existing hosts.  Would it be such a radical idea that the existing forum might continue, possibly under new management, and incorporate, in some way, the name of Mander as a lasting memorial to the firm?  There are other such bodies which do on subjects as disparate as defunct makes of cars and motor cycles to the somewhat esoteric extreme of the Burgon Society founded in 2000, but named after a former Dean of Chichester who died in 1888.