Mander Organ Builders Forum

Charles Drane

stewartt

Does anyone know who Charles Drane was? His notebooks were a source of information in the early days of NPOR (reference 'CD') but are not listed as being in the British Organ Archive. An internet search has produced nothing. He is mentioned in passing in a few places in this forum. So who was he, and where are his notebooks now?

I don't know the answer but I do know that here is a collection of rather high-quality and slightly pricy cards, often sold in Cathedral bookshops, that feature ornate ecclesiastical impedimenta (burses, veils, cope details etc.) that give as their inspiration  'From The Hoar Collection - Liverpool Cathedral'

4 hours ago, stewartt said:

Does anyone know who Charles Drane was? His notebooks were a source of information in the early days of NPOR (reference 'CD

3 hours ago, stewartt said:

Sorry - a supplementary question. One of Charles Drane's quoted sources is the A.G Hoar Collection.

Sorry, I don’t know either name, but from an index search on this site clearly the late David Drinkell knew of Drane, and in June 2018 also mentioned Canon Gordon Paget.  Earlier in July 2007 Tony Newnham also referred to Drane’s notebooks, remarking then that Drane was “no longer with us”.  Worth your waiting until Tony next logs in for a possible answer.

Hi

I'm not sure where the Drane collection is - I thought it was in the BOA.  The NPOR office had a photocopy of it.  It's a series of notebooks containing organ specifications, often with abbreviated stop names, and usually with no mention of the source of his information, so very much a secondary source, but useful non-the-less.  I know nothing about the Hoar collection other than its existence!  Sorry not to be of more help.

Every Blessing

Tony