Mander Organ Builders Forum

Other forums

Martin Cooke

My book says that commas in an address may be omitted (my italics). I was taught at school to use them in addresses, but I no longer do so because it seems superfluous to demarcate separated lines.  On the other hand, my daughter asked me this week to arbitrate an argument she was having at work about the punctuation of individual bullet points, viz capitals or not; commas or full stops? I had to admit that I wasn't 100% sure: I'm not sure they had been invented when I was at school. So I looked it up. Basically, bullet points are just a display format and do not affect the underlying grammar. The sentence is punctuated in the same way, irrespective of whether the sentence is printed in normal, running text, or whether bullets are used. I think that's what I've been doing... 🥴

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

Reading Hart's Rules, it's embarrassing to find that I have been addressing envelopes incorrectly all my life - no commas on an envelope... anywhere... apparently! Who knew?

The most important thing is *never* to use a post code.

I was very pleased to discover that the Republic of Ireland is blessedly free of such abominations. All hail to Erin’s Isle!

3 hours ago, Nic DAVIDSON PORTER said:

Pity the poor lute players and flute players...

Meanwhile, I am off to rid my houses of lice and mice; after that a spot of grice-shooting will be a pleasant end to the day...

“Arthur is a good boy; he doesn’t say them’s grouses, he says them’s grice.”

A.W. Verrall 

(But they were actually partridges.)

2 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

The most important thing is *never* to use a post code.

I was very pleased to discover that the Republic of Ireland is blessedly free of such abominations. All hail to Erin’s Isle!

The Republic of Ireland does have postcodes. ("Eircode")