Mander Organ Builders Forum

Francis Jackson's organ music - a quick query

Martin Cooke

Here's a puzzle if anyone has a spare moment or two:

So... on Apple Music - search for the CD set of FJ playing his own music. It's the set with the pic on the front of him wearing his Durham DMus robes. Go down the list of items past the first set of 1-12 and No 2 of the send listing says Impromptu for Impromptu for Sir Edward B on his 70th. Except that, I don't think it is! It certainly doesn't correspond with my score in Fanfare for Francis.  Or is it my mistake?

I don't have the scores of these, but I did have occasion to ask Simon Lindley exactly the same question recently.   He thought that the piece for Edward B was the only Impromptu by FJ (he described it as being in 5/4 in D major, op 5, does that correspond with the one in your score?) - but perhaps there is another one?

1 hour ago, DariusB said:

I don't have the scores of these, but I did have occasion to ask Simon Lindley exactly the same question recently.   He thought that the piece for Edward B was the only Impromptu by FJ (he described it as being in 5/4 in D major, op 5, does that correspond with the one in your score?) - but perhaps there is another one?

That's right, Darius, D major and 5/4. I can't really say if there is another Impromptu but the piece on the CD I referenced is definitely not this one. This one is not very easy to hear on Apple Music as it's quietly played on flutes. It sounds A minor-ish with a dominant pedal running through the opening bars, unless I've mis-heard and its actually E minor-ish with a tonic pedal, of course!! It would be great to pin it down. Who is close to FJ and might be in a position to play it to him and ask him, I wonder? Do you think JS-W might be able to identify it? I have no idea how to contact him, though I would much like to over my Tertius Noble query as well!

Actually, ho hum... it was Paul Hale who put together the Fanfare for Francis album. I'll see if he can help.

14 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

Do you think JS-W might be able to identify it? I have no idea how to contact him, though I would much like to over my Tertius Noble query as well!

I suggested that you might contact JSW in the Tertius Noble thread but, there, you said that you were reticent.

JSW's phone number is in the BT book where you will also find his address. He is also on Linkedin but his website seems to be down at the moment

18 hours ago, Paul Walton said:

The tracks on Apple are in the wrong order - what you get when you preview the Impromptu is the Arabesque (track 7). Click track 11 (listed as first movement of Sonata Giocosa) for the Impromptu!

Paul

Brilliant, Paul - thank you for sorting that little riddle - and I have ordered the Three Pieces now so I am hoping to enjoy learning those up following your earlier recommendation. Meanwhile Praeludium from the Seven Pieces is growing on me, and certainly isn't difficult, and I have played through the Ravel and the Slane-based pieces in the Acklam Pieces set a few times, but as with quite of lot of FJ's music, I just don't 'get it'... the harmony doesn't seem in the least but attractive, but I'm not giving up yet... and, as I have said, perseverance has paid off with Praeludium - (which is also incorrectly done on the Apple Music list .