Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hidden Division In Westminster Abbey?

biggestelk

I recall a conversation with a friend who sung as a chorister for the coronation of Her Majesty, who showed me an article from the friends of the Abbey (or somesuch) newsletter which shows a small division of the Abbey organ possibly in Poets Corner or near the grave of G Handel. Anyone know anymore.......?

Regards,

Oliver Horn.

Thanks, I was under the impression that it was played from the main console but over the years the stops for the division were removed from the console during various rebuilds etc. Also, the thought is that the pipes are still there, (maybe in a swell box?) just not connected in any way.

Regards,

Oliver Horn

Thanks, I was under the impression that it was played from the main console but over the years the stops for the division were removed from the console during various rebuilds etc.  Also, the thought is that the pipes are still there, (maybe in a swell box?) just not connected in any way. 

Regards,

Oliver Horn

Oliver - try this. It might be what you want.

http://www.organrecitals.com/westabbey.php

Guest Lee Blick

Is there any chance it might get renovated? Considering it was a gift, I am surprised the authorities saw fit to disconnect it.

Is there any chance it might get renovated?  Considering it was a gift, I am surprised the authorities saw fit to disconnect it.

Well, if you cannot manufacture new pipework but you can renovate or repair what is already there under the EU directive than that must boost its chances a bit. Also since , as far as I am aware, the last significant additions were rather loud stops perhaps it is the turn for some more atmospheric ones.

Incidentally, is there not a similar disconnected division residing in the Triforium of Norwich Cathedral ? There was certainly an echo division there at some stage. Doubtless the NPOR would answer the question but it saves effort if someone else already knows the answer.

BAC