Mander Organ Builders Forum

A few months back while browsing Youtube, I stumbled across a video of a rather interesting Carillon player who goes by the name of Cast in Bronze, performing on a mobile Carillon named The Millennium Carillon.

I decided to take a look and see if there are any other videos of this Carillon, but what I found surprising is that their is a surprisingly large number of mobile Carillons around. And not only that but even some Carillon players who even have personal touring Carillons. Some examples i could find are Frank Steijns who's part of Andre Rieu's Orchestra, who has a modular Carillon. Another Carillon player is Koen Van Assche, who has a rather unique Carillon called the Bronzen Pianos. And Cast in Bronze, who has a Carillon mounted on a trailer.

It's hard to say how many mobile Carillons are out , but I find that whenever I search for them their is always a video of a Carillon that I haven't seen before.

There are two Carillons in Birmingham to my knowledge. One is the famous Bournville Carillion, the other is in the RC church of the Holy Rosary in Saltley. I was once invited to play them both - but, somehow, never got around to it!!

An internet search returns the British Carillon Society saying there are 15 in UK http://www.britishcarillons.org/carillons-in-the-british-isles/

and Wikipedia gives 20 as follows of the 5 disrepancy, one is counted twice (Godalming / Parkgate). I've put the others in bold and followed the links for a couple and they look real. Perhaps the BCS one is out of date, some have become unusable or there's some definition criteria which makes them proper or improper. I guess they're not easily mislaid.

There are 20 carillons in the United Kingdom.

15 or 20 Carillons feels like such a small number, but I guess considering that it is an instrument that can ring out across a whole city or town, you probably don't need so many of these instruments. Plus it's probably not the sort of instrument that has a high demand compared to the Organ.

But I am curious about the number of portable Carillons there are, and if any of the Carillon societies have an idea as to how many of these portable Carillons are out there?

I also recently came across several videos of a series of Carillon performances that have been held for various Nursing homes during the pandemic. The Carillon being used is very similar in design to the one Frank Steijns has.

1 hour ago, Niccolo Morandi said:

15 or 20 Carillons feels like such a small number, but I guess considering that it is an instrument that can ring out across a whole city or town, you probably don't need so many of these instruments. Plus it's probably not the sort of instrument that has a high demand compared to the Organ.

By contrast there are said to be over 5,000 towers with bells hung for full circle ringing, the indigenous tradition.

My experience of Carillons only goes so far as my being a shortwave radio listener. When it used to broadcast both on shortwave and mediumwave the foreign language services of RNW (Radio Netherlands Worldwide, Hilversum, NL) used to use a tune played on a carillon as their sign on. It can be heard here, along with the carillon in question:

RNW is no longer on the air: it closed back in 2012 but was easily one of the best English-speaking stations in Europe. I considered it better than its BBC counterpart.

Dave