Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Forums (Use Of)

Cantoris

Well, for all the "if, but, why, wherefore, will it, wont it.......etc etc" survive, (or not) discussion of weeks/months ago, the Mander Forum still gets very little attention, or additional material since it was "rescued." Maybe even less. I think we are going to have to do a lot better than thus far for it to remain viable and informative to members and non-members alike. With "Lockdown" etc. there is little excuse for not getting far more responses and new material now.

Come on lets get to it! Nothing new? Then troll back through the archives as there is a massive amount of good material still to be expanded or updated. And all for our pleasure and education too! PLUS the forums permanent survival - nothing guaranteed these present days/years.

We don't have any services or concerts to play for... 

What state is everyone's organ in, if they're unused (and in an unheated building)?

The one that I play has gone a bit downhill; I drop in every few weeks to check it out.

Is your tuner still working? Are funds available to pay them? - Ian CK

17 minutes ago, ick1508 said:

We don't have any services or concerts to play for... 

What state is everyone's organ in, if they're unused (and in an unheated building)?

The one that I play has gone a bit downhill; I drop in every few weeks to check it out.

Is your tuner still working? Are funds available to pay them? - Ian CK

All a worry in a lot of places, I am sure Ian - especially as so many organs are infrequently maintained to any degree already. Luckily, my church instrument has only recently been refettled and the church makes a priority of keeping the building warm, so it's doing ok, but a couple of notes have stopped working on all stops on one manual. I get the impression that tuners are still working - (Harrisons certainly are) - but, as you say, the funds are increasingly under pressure. Long gone are the days when one would read "Quarterly tuning and adjustments" in the tuner's book, I'm afraid. 

Fortunately here, in this part of rural Wales, things musical and ecclesiastical are reasonably healthy, and as near to normal as could be expected. Services every Sunday, apart from the recent hiatus (encompassing three Sundays).

The Welsh organ ban was ridiculous, but it was rescinded in August. In the absence of singing, congregations seem to be taking more notice of and be more appreciative of organ music.

The Welsh government has been very slow to allow choral singing, but that ban too has just been lifted, and our choir is raring to go.

Tuners are working normally.

Finances have been affected, but nothing we can’t cope with. The Church in Wales gave an 85% rebate on the Quota/Parish Share for the second and third quarters of the year, which was a great help.

I’m less confident about the longer term (because of general trends, not the epidemic), but just at the moment things could be a lot worse.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 12:22, Cantoris said:

Well, for all the "if, but, why, wherefore, will it, wont it.......etc etc" survive, (or not) discussion of weeks/months ago, the Mander Forum still gets very little attention, or additional material since it was "rescued." Maybe even less. I think we are going to have to do a lot better than thus far for it to remain viable and informative to members and non-members alike. With "Lockdown" etc. there is little excuse for not getting far more responses and new material now.

Come on lets get to it! Nothing new? Then troll back through the archives as there is a massive amount of good material still to be expanded or updated. And all for our pleasure and education too! PLUS the forums permanent survival - nothing guaranteed these present days/years.

Get on with it or lose it