Mander Organ Builders Forum

Langlais Te Deum

Dee Surtees

I was wondering if anyone has come across the list of errata publish on the “Site Jean Langlais”?

http://www.jeanlanglais.com/_Partitions.php?type=opo

The site appears to be run by Marie-Louise Langlais, so presumably the errata contained therein have some authority. I am learning the Te Deum from Trois Paraphrases Grégoriennes at the moment, and so went through the corrections listed. Apart from tempo changes, which seem to originate from a recording by Jean Langlais himself, most of them are fairly obvious things like missing accidentals, etc. but there are some interesting more substantive ones. One in particular, though, just seems wrong to me. She says:

p.13, 2e système, mes.1, 2e accord main droite fa♯-sol♯-si

Or, translated, “p. 13, 2nd system, bar 1, 2nd right hand chord F♯-G♯-B”. Really? That would make it the same as the third chord in the bar. And while it fits harmonically with the left-hand chord, all the other chords are the same in both hands. Also, in the reprise of that section (p. 18, bottom system) no change is suggested. 

Agreed, wouldn't go with this one.

There are quite a few errors of accidental placement which I've marked in my copy where there is a discrepancy between identical right and left hand chords. 

When I looked up your example I found yet another, the 3rd RH chord in the bar you refer to. She's obviously referring to this chord, not the 2nd.

There are similar printing errors in Litanies

1 hour ago, Clavecin said:

Agreed, wouldn't go with this one.

There are quite a few errors of accidental placement which I've marked in my copy where there is a discrepancy between identical right and left hand chords. 

When I looked up your example I found yet another, the 3rd RH chord in the bar you refer to. She's obviously referring to this chord, not the 2nd.

There are similar printing errors in Litanies

Yes, you are right - There is a missing G♯ in the 3rd chord of the bar. I hadn’t noticed as I had been playing it with a G♯ all along. 

As for Jehan Alain, I haven’t got to Litanies yet, but I’ve been using the newish Bärenreiter edition edited by Helga Schauerte-Maubouet. It is largely based on different manuscripts to those used by Marie-Claire, and therefore contains different readings in places. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have another query concerning the order of the Trois Paraphrases Grégoriennes. My copy has the three pieces in the order ‘Mors et resurrectio’, ‘Ave Maria. Ave Maris Stella’, and ‘Hymne d’Actions de grâces’, which seems to be the most common.  But the site linked above has the first two pieces reversed (and page references given altered accordingly)

And is the correct title of the Te Deum, ‘Hymne d’Action de grâce’, (as given on the front cover of my copy) or ‘Hymne d’Actions de grâces’, (as printed on the first page of music). Does Langlais’ manuscript still exist?

I've just caught up with this thread. The website (corrected?) now says the following about bar 6: "right hand, beat 1, add first leger line; beat 3, # belongs to g." Regarding the title-discrepancy, a little research reveals that action de grâce(s) is French for thanksgiving. Action de grâce (with an upper case 'A') refers to the holiday.

35 minutes ago, wolsey said:

I've just caught up with this thread. The website (corrected?) now says the following about bar 6: "right hand, beat 1, add first leger line; beat 3, # belongs to g." Regarding the title-discrepancy, Mme Langlais calls it Hymne d'Actions de Grace "Te Deum" at the start of her list of corrections: plural actions; singular grace.

I’ve also realised (thanks to your post) that there are two different versions of the site, in French and English. There appears to be no way to switch between the two. My browser is set to French, and will only display the French version, but I just borrowed my mum’s iPad which is in English and was able to access the English version that way. As you have pointed out the English version refers to the correct beat in the bar.