Jump to content
Mander Organ Builders Forum

King's - Nine Lessons and Carols


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, john carter said:

Forum members may not be aware that, without a TV licence, you cannot legally watch any live television online, including Now TV, Amazon Prime or YouTube live streams of broadcasts.  The restriction is not limited to BBC i-player. 

A licence is not required to listen to BBC Radio or BBC Sounds which are, of course, paid for by those of us who spend less than 50p per day on the cost of the licence.  For comparison, the cost of the Times newspaper is £2 per day (£1.10 for subscribers).

Plenty on catch-up (not live!), Prime and Netflix.  In fact, a great deal more than on live TV these days.
Of course, the Nine Lessons and Carols will be available on Radio 3 which, as you say, does not need a TV licence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

For those of us (like myself) who have shortwave radios the BBC World Service is airing the Kings service. Not sure if I should post the frequency information here unless anyone is interested though but it will be live.

Dave

Though, as has been pointed out, they're using a recording this year. Not quite the same frisson as "Once in Royal" starts - if you know it's a recording, that is!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to be such a bore and bring this topic back on line but did anyone here actually bother to listen to the service on the radio and watch the tv programme?

IMHO, for what it isn`t worth, I thought the two offerings were excellent in their own individual way of presentation.  The sound quality appeared to be superior on the radio as opposed to the tv, but there again I only have a c====y little 32" box.

Have to admit to not being overly impressed with the version of " In The Mid Bleak Winter " "  but that is just my humble opinion. not an expert opinion.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Adnosad said:

Have to admit to not being overly impressed with the version of " In The Mid Bleak Winter " "  but that is just my humble opinion. not an expert opinion.

I liked it.  It was bleak, mid-wintery, quasi-nostalgic and very atmospheric. Some people seem to have found it painfully dissonant, but actually it was fairly tame compared to a lot of late Howells (even if his pencil might have corrected one or two of the chord resolutions).

Each to their own though. For my part, I couldn't work out what "The holly and the ivy" gained from Lutoslawski's duffing up.  Maybe someone can convert me.

I thought the singing on both the radio and TV programmes was superb.  As I said last year, somewhere, it was great to hear the voices blended and balanced once again.  The TV programme, with only six men, made for a very different ambience from the radio recording. It was a much more intimate sound than we have been used to, which was heighted by the absence of the congregation.  I found it quite moving.  My only gripe was that the organ sometimes tended to overpower the choir a little, but that might have been due to the sound engineers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/12/2020 at 18:11, DaveHarries said:

For those of us (like myself) who have shortwave radios the BBC World Service is airing the Kings service. Not sure if I should post the frequency information here unless anyone is interested though but it will be live.

Dave

Are you not able to listen to it online?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Adnosad said:

Sorry to be such a bore and bring this topic back on line but did anyone here actually bother to listen to the service on the radio and watch the tv programme?

IMHO, for what it isn`t worth, I thought the two offerings were excellent in their own individual way of presentation.  The sound quality appeared to be superior on the radio as opposed to the tv, but there again I only have a c====y little 32" box.

Have to admit to not being overly impressed with the version of " In The Mid Bleak Winter " "  but that is just my humble opinion. not an expert opinion.

I heard it on the radio *and* watched it on the TV. Enjoyed both.

  

14 hours ago, wolsey said:

Are you not able to listen to it online?

Not without using my phone because I have no speakers on my PC. I am also a shortwave radio listener too (listening only, not transmitting) so I would have tried it for an experiment. Maybe next year.

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...