Mander Organ Builders Forum

Anniversaries

Martin Cooke

I was a bit frustrated to get back from playing for church on Sunday to see a tweet announcing that 'on this day' in 1941, Frank Bridge had died. 

Is there a list somewhere of information like this, or is it just up to individuals to know and find out these things? I'm sure I'm missing something useful and would be grateful for a pointer, please - and thank you!

Martin

The only thing I can think of, and you will excuse me mentioning the dreaded word, is Wikipedia!!

Today, for instance, is the birthday of Wolf-Ferrari (1876), Morton Feldman (1926), Kentaro Haneder (1949). The Italian composer Carissimi died in 1674. It is also the feast day of Aelred of Rievaulx (d.1167).

Tomorrow you might think about Johnny Cash or even Wyatt Earp!!!

Sunday brings the birthday of John Stanley (b.1712), Gossec (1734) and the birth of the German Theologian Neander (1789) (wrong Neander!!!) Also the death of Philip Jones, the Trumpeter (d. 2000. A Stanley Trumpet Tune might go down well!!!

6 minutes ago, David Surtees said:

Barry Williams used to have suce a list on his website, but that is no longer live. I’m pretty sure I have a copy of his list, buried on one of my hard drives, but haven’t been able to track it down yet.

2011 seems to be the last year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140624035204/http://organistpublications.co.uk/cgi-bin/downloads/Anniversaries for 2011.doc

4 hours ago, S_L said:

Sunday brings the birthday of John Stanley (b.1712), Gossec (1734) and the birth of the German Theologian Neander (1789) (wrong Neander!!!) Also the death of Philip Jones, the Trumpeter (d. 2000. A Stanley Trumpet Tune might go down well!!!

Is anybody playing the organ next Sunday? I managed December 27th (transmitted via Zoom over my mobile phone) with the 'family choir' of 4 in a bubble, and that's been it since last March, for the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, ick1508 said:

Is anybody playing the organ next Sunday? I managed December 27th (transmitted via Zoom over my mobile phone) with the 'family choir' of 4 in a bubble, and that's been it since last March, for the foreseeable future. 

I played from August through till the November lockdown then from after that until this one started. Most of the time we managed a socially distanced choir of 6 to 8! Although in theory we can still continue legally, we've all decided the risk is not sensible at the moment - given our ages!

Steve

21 hours ago, S_L said:

The only thing I can think of, and you will excuse me mentioning the dreaded word, is Wikipedia!!

Today, for instance, is the birthday of Wolf-Ferrari (1876), Morton Feldman (1926), Kentaro Haneder (1949). The Italian composer Carissimi died in 1674. It is also the feast day of Aelred of Rievaulx (d.1167).

Tomorrow you might think about Johnny Cash or even Wyatt Earp!!!

That's a great starter, S_L - many thanks. So what do you actually type to get this list? I have just typed 'On the day wiki' and that works but the list of anniversaries is almost overwhelming. Can one limit it just to musicians?

18 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Gosh, that's useful, too. But, it's all a bit unfathomable. There is there was a musicians' diary that had info like this in. 

2 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

That's a great starter, S_L - many thanks. So what do you actually type to get this list? I have just typed 'On the day wiki' and that works but the list of anniversaries is almost overwhelming. Can one limit it just to musicians?

I think I just typed the date and wiki - yep! January 13th - wiki - and this came up January 13 - Wikipedia

Limit it to musicians - sorry - no idea!!!!

Try a search for "composer anniversaries" and that brings up a good few sources:

https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/ChoralWiki:2021_Anniversaries

https://soclassiq.com/en/commemorations/Classical_music_history_%3A_2021_(Commemorations)/yy/2021/

https://www.ricordi.com/en-US/Composers/Anniversaries/Anniversaries-2021.aspx

These are the first three results but there are many others. These tend to have just significant anniversaries but it's a good starting place and in the past I've tended to make a note of those composers of choral and organ music and make a conscious effort to include some of their works in my programming for the year.