Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Paul's Cathedral - new recital series

Martin Cooke

St Paul's has announced a series of recitals celebrating 150 years of the 1872 Willis organ. I don't think I found the details on the St Paul's site, but got them from a tweet. However, this is a link to the first of William Fox's Bach series which he gave to an empty cathedral last Sunday. In the opening shots, you get the full 'poster' covering all the recitals. I thoroughly recommend listening to this performance of William's with some seasonal music for New Year, Baptism of Jesus and, coming up soon, Presentation of Christ in the Temple/Purification/Candlemas. Having played BWV 684, Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam, at church that morning myself without a page turner, it is quite amusing to see the lengths [you will see this turns out to be a pun of sorts] that William has to go to to manage this piece without a turner. (Yesterday, I was engaged in the exercise of preparing a manageable score of Dubois' Fiat Lux for Candlemas.)

On 12/01/2021 at 07:41, Martin Cooke said:

Having played BWV 684, Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam, at church that morning myself without a page turner, it is quite amusing to see the lengths [you will see this turns out to be a pun of sorts] that William has to go to to manage this piece without a turner

Play from the original print? That’s three pages plus one system over, which could be stuck on the bottom of the third page.

Having said that, whilst it’s interesting and perhaps beneficial to play from original editions and manuscripts, I’m not sure I’d want to do it publicly!

1 minute ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Play from the original print? That’s three pages plus one system over, which could be stuck on the bottom of the third page.

Having said that, whilst it’s interesting and perhaps beneficial to play from original editions and manuscripts, I’m not sure I’d want to do it publicly!

I have a facsimile of the original edition of CÜIII. It is hard to read, not because of the C clefs and the pedals quite often being on the lh stave, but because the horizontal and vertical spacing is poor and there are more than a handful of misprints. I’m still committed to the idea of playing from original editions though!