Mander Organ Builders Forum

Geoffrey Burgon - Nunc Dimittis

Martin Cooke

I need to play this on the organ after a funeral soon. I have downloaded the score (from MusicNotes) and at first glance it all looks straightforward enough but there are places where the voice and trumpet parts meander around each other which could be tricky given that one might rather needs different timbres to represent the two 'voices,' and one's other hand and a foot are busy holding chords. Has anyone a undertaken or come across a 'proper' organ arrangement of this piece. I might be able to get away with it by playing the chords with my feet but I haven't attempted anything yet.

Many thanks, in case you can help.

2 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

I need to play this on the organ after a funeral soon. I have downloaded the score (from MusicNotes) and at first glance it all looks straightforward enough but there are places where the voice and trumpet parts meander around each other which could be tricky given that one might rather needs different timbres to represent the two 'voices,' and one's other hand and a foot are busy holding chords. Has anyone a undertaken or come across a 'proper' organ arrangement of this piece. I might be able to get away with it by playing the chords with my feet but I haven't attempted anything yet.

Many thanks, in case you can help.

I don’t know the piece, but you could possibly try playing the trumpet part in the pedals?

Thanks David - no, I don't think that will work on this occasion - but is a trick I used in transcribing Howells' A spotless rose and Leighton's Lully, lulla for organ. They work very well like that though the Leighton needs a 2ft solo stop on the pedal - luckily I have swell and choir octave to pedal stops that help fulfil that function!