Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wimborne Minster

Martin Cooke

Paignton parish church in Devon used to have a very effective pair of digital 32s. All the various digital additions (not acknowledged on NPOR) have been replaced since I last played it, but I have no reason to suppose they are any the less effective now.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the comment further down the 'twitter' page from Paul Spicer.

"I think one of the things I have missed as much as anything over the last eight months is singing hymns. They can be one of the most powerful musical experiences. A great building, empathetic organist, great tune and a congregation throwing their hearts and souls into it."

Here, here! I love a 'good hymn' and, living in the South West of France, I never hear one. Every so often I feel the urge to go to the organ and play 'Leoni',  or 'Song I', or that simple little Lenten tune 'St. Philip' or one of the most beautiful hymn tunes I know, Gordon Slater's 'Bilsdale'!

What a wonderful and enviable tradition. 

• 2 months later...
On 26/01/2021 at 16:37, Damian Beasley-Suffolk said:

It was established and accepted in these pages that the provision of digital subbass voices at Buckfast was due to lack of space in the abbey church. There is nothing reprehensible in this.

Maybe. However, the previous instrument already possessed a fairly effective 32ft. stopped wood rank. They might just as well have retained it.

On 03/05/2021 at 21:57, undamaris said:

I'm curious as to whether there are plans to extend the Orchestral Trumpet to bottom C at Wimborne 🤔

No. It will remain from C13 only. The top five or six notes are flue-pipes.

I have taken quite a lot of photographs of the dismantling of the Minster organ, and also several of the South Quire Aisle without any organ components remaining (except for the humidifier, which is directly connected to the water mains). They are too numerous to upload here, and the files are also too large. If anyone wishes to see them, please send me a PM, and I shall post them on my Facebook page, and send you a link.