Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mander in Dorset

Cornet IV

How heartening to read in this morning's Telegraph of the restoration of the Wimborne Minster organ contract going to Manders.

The picture is of one Stephen Hayley with an "orchestral trumpet" but in the background, there is the instrument disporting a rank of these mounted en chamade. I find this a little curious because whilst I have known many Spanish and other 17th century organs with reeds thus mounted, I have never met a 17th century English instrument so equipped. I suspect this must be a later addition. Yes? 

10 hours ago, Cornet IV said:

How heartening to read in this morning's Telegraph of the restoration of the Wimborne Minster organ contract going to Manders.

See in 'Nuts and Bolts' the thread, started by Martin Cooke on the rebuild of Wimborne Minster organ and there are links to pictures on facebook of the dismantling of the organ.

11 hours ago, Cornet IV said:

The picture is of one Stephen Hayley with an "orchestral trumpet" but in the background, there is the instrument disporting a rank of these mounted en chamade. I find this a little curious because whilst I have known many Spanish and other 17th century organs with reeds thus mounted, I have never met a 17th century English instrument so equipped. I suspect this must be a later addition. Yes? 

The organ is effectively a 60's JWW, 1965 I think, so no surprise to hear that the winding system is receiving some attention. The orchestral trumpet belongs to that episode of work.

These, surely, are the celebrated chamades so often referred to by pcnd5584 on numerous earlier threads.  Rather amusingly, in the original Dorset volume of ‘The Buildings of England’, Nickolaus Pevsner, clearly unfamiliar with chamades, described the Wimborne ones as “a charming idea”!  The resonators are of spun brass, and I’m sure pcnd5584 once told us who made them - was it Boosey & Hawkes?

10 hours ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

These, surely, are the celebrated chamades so often referred to by pcnd5584 on numerous earlier threads.  Rather amusingly, in the original Dorset volume of ‘The Buildings of England’, Nickolaus Pevsner, clearly unfamiliar with chamades, described the Wimborne ones as “a charming idea”!  The resonators are of spun brass, and I’m sure pcnd5584 once told us who made them - was it Boosey & Hawkes?

Yes I remember pcnd5584 mentioning this. I'm surprised he has not returned to discuss the restoration? He last visited this site on 17th January 2020.