Mander Organ Builders Forum

Richard Shepherd

DaveHarries

Read online this evening that Dr. Richard Shepherd MBE, DL, FRSCM, a composer, former educator, and Director of Development and Chamberlain of York Minster, sadly died on 20th February at the age of 71 after a long illness.

I had never previously heard of his music until I attended the enthronement service for the current Bishop of Bristol, a former Dean of York, at Bristol Cathedral back in October 2018. One of the anthems for the service was "Eternal light, shine into our hearts", a prayer of Alcuin of York (735-804) which Dr. Shepherd had set to music especially for the service: it was superb. May he rest in peace.

Dave

There is quite an extensive wikipedia article about him. Richard Shephard - Wikipedia 

He was quite prolific. I seem to remember that some of his music was published by RSCM. I remember a number of 'Services' - Addington, Wiltshire and Gloucester stand out and several 'Mag & Nunc' settings as well as a number of anthems.

What I didn't know was that there are Operas, Musicals and some orchestral and chamber music.

Requiem Aeternam