Mander Organ Builders Forum

BWV 745 Aus der Tiefe rufe ich

innate

I do sometimes: it's in the OUP Lent and Easter book - stated to be by CPE. In the Barenreiter volume "Organ Chorales from Miscellaneous Sources" there are two versions: for manuals and pedals, but also one for manuals only. Peter Williams says it's largely identical to an Allemande in a Suite in E minor by CPE Bach.

2 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

I played it on Ash Wednesday. Today I played Howells Set 1 No 1; Whitlock Canzona; Malcolm Archer Hymn Prelude on Aus der Tiefe; Craig Phillips Hymn Prelude on Caithness; Paul Drayton Pavane; Rowley Chorale Prelude on Hollingside and Rutter Elegy.

That’s a whole recital—well done!

15 hours ago, Martin Cooke said:

I played it on Ash Wednesday. Today I played Howells Set 1 No 1; Whitlock Canzona; Malcolm Archer Hymn Prelude on Aus der Tiefe; Craig Phillips Hymn Prelude on Caithness; Paul Drayton Pavane; Rowley Chorale Prelude on Hollingside and Rutter Elegy.

The Drayton Pavane is gem - a bit “different”. The opening reminds me of Vaughan Williams’ Job. He has written other organ music but as far as I can tell none of it is published.

12 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

The Drayton Pavane is gem - a bit “different”. 

Yes, I entirely agree - a super little item. Actually, the Communion 'went on a bit' yesterday, and I snuck in a performance of an Alcock piece just published by Fagus in their album - new Edwardian Preludes volume - http://fagus-music.com/composers/edwardian.htm. Does anyone else play the Rutter Elegy? I closed, on Ash Wednesday evening, with Thalben Ball's Edwardia. I had not played it before and although the title didn't really fit the occasion, I felt the nature of the piece did - just on swell strings with the Octave coupler. 

I do sometimes: it's in the OUP Lent and Easter book - stated to be by CPE. In the Barenreiter volume "Organ Chorales from Miscellaneous Sources" there are two versions: for manuals and pedals, but also one for manuals only. Peter Williams says it's largely identical to an Allemande in a Suite in E minor by CPE Bach.

That will be this one. Now I'm wondering whether whoever was responsible for this was responsible for that awful galant trio mash-up of O Mensch bewein' dein' Sünde gross (https://www.breitkopf.com/bach-edirom/apps/breitkopf-bach-band-7/bwv622b.pdf). Probably not.

Actually I like BWV 745 very much. It's always struck me as sounding more like Brahms than any of the Bachs, but that's largely due to the thoroughly un-HIP way I used to play it from Lohmann's edition, which added its own je ne sais quoi.