Mander Organ Builders Forum

St John's, Cambridge

sbarber49

27 minutes ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Well, Trinity College next door only has one more speaking stop than Stephen Bicknell’s original Walker design for St John’s, and it likewise has no “party horns” and no 32’s.  How do they manage?

I think the answer to that is 'on the whole, very well': http://trinitycollegechapel.com/services/service-list-archive/

No music is fatally compromised by a lack of 32's and there is more than enough quality music out there that doesn't require a Tuba. But sometimes you just wish...: 

11 hours ago, Vox Humana said:

No music is fatally compromised by a lack of 32's and there is more than enough quality music out there that doesn't require a Tuba. But sometimes you just wish...: 

I defer to you expert players - and this discussion has become entirely hypothetical anyway! - but in Stephen Bicknell’s scheme could a ‘party horn’ effect be achieved with the Great trumpet plus cornet?  He doesn’t specify whether the latter is to be a five ranks mounted cornet; I have heard that combination do the trick.  But would his Swell be sufficient to accompany it?  He does concede that tracker action was limiting in this particular situation, and thus no option of a transfer of Great reeds on Choir.

5 minutes ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

I defer to you expert players - and this discussion has become entirely hypothetical anyway! - but in Stephen Bicknell’s scheme could a ‘party horn’ effect be achieved with the Great trumpet plus cornet? 

I’ve often used the Cornet V + Trumpet 8' to serve as a “super solo reed” in pieces such as the Tippet canticles, especially on two organs that no longer exist where I was on the staff: the HNB at Exeter College, Oxford and the HNB at the Tower of London.

1 hour ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

I defer to you expert players - and this discussion has become entirely hypothetical anyway! - but in Stephen Bicknell’s scheme could a ‘party horn’ effect be achieved with the Great trumpet plus cornet?  

If the trumpet is on a low-ish pressure, it will fall off markedly in the treble, whereas the cornet will be non-existent at the bottom, quiet in the middle and get much stronger in the treble.  Drawing them together is sometimes the only way to get an even volume through the whole compass.

I have mentioned this organ before. Rebuilt out of all recognition a few years ago, it was one of Hele's (or was it Dicker's?) more interesting efforts, being, for its modest size, a surprisingly effective orchestral concept. The reeds were not loud. Adding the Swell Cornopean to a flue ensemble gave the effect a whole orchestral string section joining the ensemble. The Great Trumpet was also more of colouring agent than a climax stop. No high pressure stop, it was quite thin toned—just the thing, in fact, for English Baroque trumpet voluntaries. As a solo stop it was quite useless. Until you added the Gt Open Diapason. This both filled out the tone and blended perfectly, producing a perfectly adequate, louder solo Trumpet. The problem then was that you didn't have all that much left with which to accompany it. I am not sure how well this ploy would work with louder, fuller-toned Trumpet stops: I've never had to try it.

10 hours ago, DariusB said:

If the trumpet is on a low-ish pressure, it will fall off markedly in the treble, whereas the cornet will be non-existent at the bottom, quiet in the middle and get much stronger in the treble.  Drawing them together is sometimes the only way to get an even volume through the whole compass.

Yes, I can see why Cornets can be particularly useful.

8 hours ago, Vox Humana said:

I have mentioned this organ before, etc.

I noticed earlier this evening, and again when I clicked 'this' above, that NPOR doesn't seem to be working.
Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?

1 hour ago, John Robinson said:

I noticed earlier this evening, and again when I clicked 'this' above, that NPOR doesn't seem to be working.
Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?

Yes, it seems to have keeled over. It was working when I posted - I checked the link.