Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dobson organ builder's factory destoyed

P DeVile

Utterly dreadful news. Their Facebook page has some reposted links from other pages and groups, including photos. From looking at them, it seems the entire building has indeed been destroyed, and if what the reporter in the above video says is correct, that would also include their archives.

Really awful news. The website of Classic FM here in the UK reports that the cause was a fan which malfunctioned and caused sawdust to ignite.

https://amp.classicfm.com/music-news/dobson-organ-workshop-building-fire-tragedy/

St. James, King Street, Sydney - who had recently awarded Dobson's the contract for a new organ - have posted on their Facebook page that "Dobsons advise that they are fully insured and that their intention is to continue in business."

My thoughts and prayers are with all of the company's employees. I hope that the company will be able to rebuild and bounce back in due course and that the sounds for which the company has rightly earned recognition will be produced once again.

Dave

As one who has experienced serious fire, first hand (I woke, at 04h00 one morning in February to see a raging fire at my house!) I can say how traumatic it is, standing, watching the fire people pouring gallons of water all over! 

But it is possessions/belongings that are destroyed - and insured - and can be, largely, replaced/rebuilt etc. Loss of life can never be replaced. I was safe and I am pleased to hear that there was no loss of life at Dobson's. 

A firm as distinguished as Dobson's, the work they did at St. Thomas' NY was wonderful and the organ at Merton College seems highly regarded in Oxford, will rebuild and come back. 

Very sad news, and I share S_L's sentiment that they will bounce back. However there are some things that insurance can't replace such as plans and drawings and unique hand-made tools that may have been passed down from one builder to the next. I also feel for any church or venue that may have had an organ in their workshop as they will have lost their instrument.

Yes, awful news but let's hope insurance will do its thing and given time, all will be well and they will rise again even stronger. Very sorry to hear that one of the employees was hurt and hope he is ok. Just picked up my copy of the latest Choir and Organ  to find a feature on the company written by Paul Hale which just serves to make it all the more sad at what has occurred. 

• 5 weeks later...

Good to see that the MD of another company - Michael Sutcliffe (Foley-Baker, Inc. of Tolland, Conn - has started a GoFundMe to support employees of the Dobsons organ shop. The initial target of $10,000 was broken within well under 24 hours and, as I write this, the amount raised stands at $35,500; the highest donation recorded is $1500 which is good to see.

News article: https://www.1380kcim.com/2021/06/24/industry-colleague-starts-gofundme-to-support-dobson-pipe-organ-builders-employees/
GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-replace-dobson-employees-tools?utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

Meanwhile other firms in the organ building world and its associated trades are rallying around: the Dobsons page on Facebook informs readers that they have been loaned use of the woodworking shop of Paul Iverson and also have managed to purchase the tools and equipment of the Nelson Barden & Associates workshop in Waltham, Massachusetts.

HTIOI,
Dave