Mander Organ Builders Forum

Orgelbüchlein Project

Martin Cooke

Can anyone tell me where we have got to with publications stemming from this? I bought the first volume - Volume 4 - quite a while ago, but can find no information about subsequent volumes. The other day, I came across a video of Anna Lapwood playing a CP by Grayston Ives, but don't know if the music is available. Any intel anyone?

Like you Martin, I have been following the project.  There was to have been a competition to select the last two chorale preludes for Volume 5 in, I think, June 2017, after which Volume 5 was due to go into production. There has been no published information about this since then, so I emailed William Whitehead for an update.  I will advise on this thread when I have more news.

William has advised me that there have been a few publication and copyright technical problems which have much delayed the publication of the remaining volumes. It is likely that Volume 3 will be published later this year, with two more volumes next year.  I will advise on this thread as soon as I hear that further Volumes are published.

Many thanks, Keith. I won't say that I got huge value for money out of Volume 4, but that is more a reflection of my ability than anything else, but I remain interested as so many top level people are contributing to this really interesting project. Let's hope they can crack on soon.

3 hours ago, Keitha said:

Like you Martin, I have been following the project.  There was to have been a competition to select the last two chorale preludes for Volume 5 in, I think, June 2017, after which Volume 5 was due to go into production. There has been no published information about this since then

The competition did take place: RCO News: Orgelbüchlein competition winners announced

There's a Facebook page where you can hear lots of the compositions: The Orgelbüchlein Project | Facebook

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Volume 3 is now available online. This time the Orgelbüchlein Project has decided to self-publish - available from the revamped website: www.orgelbuechlein.co.uk.

It's a high quality, well-produced volume with some interesting commentary. Despatch and delivery are very efficient.  The only downside that I can see is that the volume is a different size to the Peters Vol 4, so volumes 3 & 4 don't 'match' when placed next to each other, but that's a minor issue in my view.

On 04/12/2022 at 16:24, Keitha said:

Volume 3 is now available online. This time the Orgelbüchlein Project has decided to self-publish - available from the revamped website: www.orgelbuechlein.co.uk.

It's a high quality, well-produced volume with some interesting commentary. Despatch and delivery are very efficient.  The only downside that I can see is that the volume is a different size to the Peters Vol 4, so volumes 3 & 4 don't 'match' when placed next to each other, but that's a minor issue in my view.

Thanks very much, Keitha. I'm bound to say that Volume 4 is not something that I keep 'handy', with many of the pieces being quite a challenge, but I love the idea of the project and I won't be able to stop myself buying Volume 3. But, it IS Christmas, afterall!

• 4 weeks later...

Just reflecting on the fact that I shall be off to church shortly where I'm playing six of JSB's Orgelbüchlein preludes on this New Year's Day... does anyone have any favourites emerging yet from the new volume 3, or indeed, 4? I feel we need a few more recordings or short films like this  and this, and this to encourage us.., but they seem so tricky!