Mander Organ Builders Forum

Rushworth and Dreaper - Guildford

Martin Cooke

Forumites may be interested in this little demonstration of the Guildford organ. It hasn't really been possible to discover much about the David Wells work, and although this video doesn't clarify on that score, it is interesting, and is a great reminder that second hand instruments can be absolutely outstanding as this one seems to be. Am I right in thinking that R & D has a rather mixed reputation? And if so, why is that when Guildford and Chester seem so good? 

A lot of people seem to "write off" certain large church/cathedral instruments if the are not in the style, or made by the likes of H&H, Willis, for example. I personally had not heard the Guilford organ until the other day (through Beauty In Sound), and its stunning, whether or not it was second hand, it fits the building like it was made for it

If you have a silk purse from the outset, the end result is somewhat different to starting with a sow's ear and both Guildford and Chester have outstanding material as the heart of each instrument.  At Chester, some of the R&D additions/work is well done, but some is a bit rough and ready, IMHO. 

As part of the DWOB work at Guildford, lots of leatherwork was done - reservoirs, actions, etc.  and the Choir division spec was tweaked along with lots of other little bits and pieces here and there.  The console received a lot of attention with the woodwork being re-finished in its original white oak style, a new piston system fitted and the layout of the stops & pistons rationalised.   

Adrian

I suspect the reason the organ in Guildford Cathedral sounded like a magnificent Harrison and Harrison is because it was a magnificent Harrison and Harrison, of 1900 vintage and transplanted to Guildford Cathedral by Rushworth and Dreapers.....

• 1 month later...