Mander Organ Builders Forum

Martin Schellenberg RIP

Very saddened to learn of the sudden death on Friday, of Martin Schellenberg, DOM at Beaminster Parish Church, formerly at Christchurch Priory and before that, Assistant at Bristol Cathedral.  He was 62, and passed away at the Beaminster organ just before the first choir rehearsal after lifting of restrictions.

I am not sure that there is ever a "perfect passing', certainly not for the family.  My heart goes out to the family who have lost a loving husband and father.  I had great fun assisting in a recording that Martin made made many years ago on the temporary organ in Salisbury Cathedral when I worked for a toaster company (I believe Sean Tucker was also present).  Harry Mudd was the long suffering recording engineer. Martin was forthright in his views about how he wanted the organ to sound, and it was my job to interpret his wishes with the limited resources I had at my disposal at the time. He was a superb musician and also great company.  My abiding memory was of a rather convivial evening at the hotel where our late lamented Chairman and Managing Director (JRMP) attempted to match Martin drink for drink in the hotel afterwards.  It was a memorable evening!  RIP Martin.