Mander Organ Builders Forum

Test Post

Colin Pykett

Thank you, kind sir!  Thanks also to our Webmaster for help in sorting some problems I was having.  If anyone's interested, the solution was to delete all cookies with 'mander' and 'invision' in their names.  Sorry that the whole world had to know about it though.

Thank you Tony, and also for your advice privately earlier this year about making youtube videos.  My camera, though good for pictures at resolutions up to full HD, is utterly hopeless for sound.  So I now record a separate high quality sound track on a Zoom machine as a WAV file and then marry it up post-production in a video editor using the time honoured syncing method of a handclap.  I've found the free version of VideoPad to be excellent, in fact unbelievably sophisticated for freeware even though it does not offer the full capabilities of the paid version.

Sorry to bore everyone with this, though my excuse is that there might be some with similar interests. 

3 hours ago, Colin Pykett said:

Thank you Tony, and also for your advice privately earlier this year about making youtube videos.  My camera, though good for pictures at resolutions up to full HD, is utterly hopeless for sound.  So I now record a separate high quality sound track on a Zoom machine as a WAV file and then marry it up post-production in a video editor using the time honoured syncing method of a handclap.  I've found the free version of VideoPad to be excellent, in fact unbelievably sophisticated for freeware even though it does not offer the full capabilities of the paid version.

Sorry to bore everyone with this, though my excuse is that there might be some with similar interests. 

The good Dr. Colin is back!!!

.............................. and, as usual, I didn't understand a word of it ........................... Zoom Machine - WAV file - too complex for my simple mind!!!!

18 hours ago, S_L said:

The good Dr. Colin is back!!!

.............................. and, as usual, I didn't understand a word of it ........................... Zoom Machine - WAV file - too complex for my simple mind!!!!

Don't worry about it S_L.  Us techies understand it, and I'm sure you have loads of knowledge in other areas to share that neither Colin or myself know or understand!

Every Blessing

Tony

Mobile phone cameras offer fantastic video quality now. Unfortunately the sound lags behind, and especially so for an instrument such as the organ which has wide dynamic variation between pp and ff. Most phones try to boost sound level (including ambient, blower noise etc) in quiet bits and cut back suddenly when it goes loud.

I've taken to recording my performances with an external USB microphone and computer, or when recording on my home Hauptwerk organ, I use the built in sound recorder. In video editor software I import both phone video and audio, and "proper" audio track, set the editor to view the waveforms on both audio tracks and shift the latter left or right until they are superimposed (actually it may be better if the sound is very slightly delayed or right shifted by a fraction of a second as video processing is much more complex than audio processing so if perfectly synched, you may find the sounds sounding very slightly before the corresponding note has been played which looks silly in close up).

I then mute the audio track that the phone made. That of course has the further benefit of muting any extraneous comments I make when I hit a wrong note, and making my keyboards sound less clackety than they are in reality!