Mander Organ Builders Forum

Three quick things

Martin Cooke

Just wondering if anyone can help with the following three questions...

• Is there, anywhere, an index to the complete Barenreiter Bach edition? I am sure I had and downloaded one but am now not so sure as I seem unable to find or re-find it. So, ideally, I'd like to see a thematic index, but I can make do with one that says 'Prelude and Fugue in X major, BWV 000 - VOLUME 6' ... or something approximating to that. 
  • Other than the Barber Adagio arrangement, are there other 'memorial' type pieces that organists use in the US in the same way as perhaps we use Nimrod or Solemn Melody, for example?
  • Nigel Gaze - I played through the Oecumuse score of his Valediction yesterday - a lovely piece which qualifies as a 'luxuriant adagio' in my book. Does anyone have any recommendations for other organ music of his by any chance? A lot is published by Fagus.

Many thanks!

In answer, only, to your question about memorial music, “Be still my soul” (Sibelius Finlandia) seems popular and “Amazing Grace” in its various formats (not to everyone’s taste, I realise).  There is some assistance in the service sheets for Ronald Reagan’s state funeral in Washington National Cathedral 2004 and the commemorative service for the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the USA held in our own St Paul’s Cathedral (as it happens, exactly ten years ago today on 11th September 2011), both accessible from Google.

The Washington service contained a wealth of international organ music, but included these two pieces by American composers: “Just as I am” from Gospel Preludes by William Bolcomb, and ”The Peace may be exchanged” from Rubrics by Dan Locklair.

“Be still my soul”’ was also included in the pre-service music at both Washington and St Paul’s, so that must rank fairly high, but perhaps we will get a reply from the US with more definite information.  I’m sure there are plenty more.

Thank you both. I think that must be the Barenreiter index I found once before - very useful, if not brilliantly laid out. And I have learned the movement from Rubrics now which is delightful. Rowland - I recall an online service from Winchester at which Claudia Grinnell played other movements of this work. She played the first movement at the end, and the movement entitled something like The peace may be exchanged amongst her pre-service music.