Mander Organ Builders Forum

Daquin - Nöel Étranger

Martin Cooke

Hello everyone - does anyone happen to know a bit about this piece and why it has this title? Does it not 'belong' in some way... to some thing? Would it have been an organ Nöel based on a Nöel that would have been unknown to the listener in Daquin's day? I would like to play it on Sunday but feel a word of explanation would be helpful to the congregation. Many thanks, in anticipation.

Wikipedia (in the composer's entry) says that it's based on a foreign carol (maybe Italian).

I understand (from Hyperion sleeve-notes) that Hogwood's 1983 edition gives the carol titles for all but one of the Noëls, so that might help confirm the above.

(Later:) There is an article on Daquin's Noëls starting on page 22 of this PDF.  The author states that the Noël Étranger is the only one he has not been able to identify a source for.  He writes:

The eighth noël so far remains a puzzle.  My research is by no means finished, but so far this tune has not been found in other sources.  The only clue is the title given by Daquin: "Noël Étranger" - a strange, unknown, or foreign noël.  It could not have been familiar to the people of Paris and its surrounding regions; therefore, it would be from a distant part of France or another country entirely.  The rhythm and harmonic structure remind us of 16th-century Italian and Spanish dance forms.  Its character is certainly unlike the others in this collection.  Some French Canadians call it a "pastiche".  Perhaps Daquin wrote it himself!

Paul

16 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Wikipedia (in the composer's entry) says that it's based on a foreign carol (maybe Italian).

I understand (from Hyperion sleeve-notes) that Hogwood's 1983 edition gives the carol titles for all but one of the Noëls, so that might help confirm the above.

(Later:) There is an article on Daquin's Noëls starting on page 22 of this PDF.  The author states that the Noël Étranger is the only one he has not been able to identify a source for.  He writes:

Paul

Thank you so much for all of that, Paul - much appreciated.